Friday, April 23, 2010

Friday Weigh In, Additional Thoughts on Nothing.

Well, first things first. I have gained a pound.
*blink*
That's the first time that this has happened, but I must go back. I have only lost 16 pounds for the year. Man. I did so hate to do that.

Remember that guy who slogs across the highway, again and again and again, to buy handsful of scratch off lottery tickets? He hit it for a thousand dollars on Friday. He said that he'd also won big at the K-mart, big enough that they could not cash his ticket there. He had to send it in to Harrisburg and wait for the money to come from the state. He said happily that he wins $4000 a month in the lottery. Alyssa and I looked at each other after he left. "Can you imagine how much he spends if he's winning $4000 a month?" Amazing. It truly had not even occured to me that he was walking across the highway to other places besides our own fine establishment.

You know, I posted on the Tea Party, providing a link to Wasilla Bill's post on the activities there. I'm doing it again. I've gone back to that post again and again for the comments. I have to say that reading them made me proud. Yeah. We have our radicals. Folks who run around running their mouths, spouting lies and distortions and angry rhetoric. Some of them commented. What I loved is that people spoke back to them. You can see that reason carried the day, that reason triumphed over rhetoric. It was good to see.

I've been having a rough time lately, and you all have been great. Tim and I will be okay. Backing away from that precipice, we are wide eyed and sweaty, breathing a little heavily. We scared ourselves, badly. But we do love each other a great deal. It's interesting to me that even at the worst, when we were considering a separation, we spoke calmly and reasonably. We were not shouting. We were concerned for the wellbeing of the other. It is not what either of us wanted. Someone suggested that I might want to seek solace from another woman who is going through a divorce. "She would understand," I was told. Said woman is angry, spewing venom, very bitter. It made me shiver a little. "No," I said. "I don't think she would." But thanks for your comments. I can't say for sure how this will all work out, but I know that Tim is a good person. I know that I'm a good person. I know that we love each other. I know that we love God. The idea that it might not be enough is mind boggling to me.

I've been struck lately about the amount of niceness in this world. Mrs. L, from church, sent me a lovely card of encouragement. I haven't shared a lot of what is going on, but she noticed right away that I was not as chirpy as usual. A lady at college reads my columns. Her mother clips them out and sends them to her, which makes her laugh, because she lives in the same town, about three minutes from her. When I walked into her office, she recognized my name, and she has taken a special interest in my situation, and has been working quietly behind the scenes on my behalf. That is encouraging too. I look around at all the good people in my life, on the fringes of my life, and I realize that really, I'm a very lucky person.

There's more, but my husband has a job interview at nine, just down the road from the college. I'm going along, because I have some paperwork to drop off at school.

11 comments:

Caroline said...

Dieting is a roller coaster. I was weighing myself daily, then weekly. Now I am not weighing myself and willing am willing myself to feel thinner. I think I am. Marriage also has its ups and downs. Last night I could have killed my husband simply because he came home from work ssssooooo crabby.

Nice people should rule the world. I used to work with an semi neurotic person who made daily work horrible because you had to check their mood as you came in the door, never knowing how it would be until you got there. I try to surround myself with nice people these days. So far, its working pretty well. I work with all nice people. I hang out with nice people. And when my husband isn't in a crabby mood, I'm married to a nice person.

jeanie said...

Best of luck for Tim's interview - and I am hoping for happiness in all Taurean marriages.

BUSH BABE said...

Everything crossed like crazy for Tim's interview... MUST get me on that diet.
:-)
BB

RedWifey said...

Debby, it breaks my heart to hear how things have been going for you guys lately. I'm praying for complete healing and lessons learned for you both. I'm also praying for both of your jobs and for your college and for Brianna and good health. No wonder you guys have had a hard time...so many pieces of the pie moving at once.

May peace and happiness return soon!

Roland said...

stay strong and remember that a lb of real, actual mass, of any kind, gained in a week is unlikely unless you ate a TON more than your maintenance level. Scales suck.

Good luck to Tim on the job, too. :)

Twain12 said...

sending good vibes and good luck for the interview

steviewren said...

Hope things on all fronts look up soon.

Bill of Wasilla said...

Thank you, Debby. Tim has a gem in you, as you do in him. I pull for the both of you.

Chez said...

Debby how can I say with confidence that I feel sure things will work out for you when I have known you [through your writing] for such a short while?
Maybe it has much to do with the philosophy that 'Things work out the best for people who make the best of the way things work out'
May God Bless you and hold you in the palm of His hand xo

corymbia said...

You deserve all good things to come your way Deb. You are inspirational. XA

WhiteStone said...

I think I commented about the lottery on your previous post and said something about a similar fellow here, years ago, who spent money on tickets and his kids needed shoes/etc.

Well, this week, the guy in the second house over from us, won $14,000. Go figure.