Thursday, April 8, 2010

Daydreams

I had a very nice evening yesterday, cleaning the gardens out, mulching, general sprucing up. It was nice. The night before, we were outside sweating as we wrestled with a big old oak, turning the massive chunks of trunk into firewood, and stacking it. Two completely different tasks, but I found myself really thinking about the forward looking hopefulness of both of them. I plant flowers thinking ahead to warm summery days when they are 'in their glory' and I will be able to enjoy them. I split wood thinking ahead to cold winter days when I'm inside sprawled on my old leather couch, listening to an old dog snore. I enjoyed my little daydreams as I worked.

I'm headed over to Mary's today. We'll play scrabble and we'll talk. We always do. We talk about what's going on. We talk about what was, and there is a lot of what was for us to talk about. We have a forty year friendship. It's the final few days of spring break, and I'm glad to have a day to myself. It's been a rough time, and it is very nice to be again daydreaming about what was, what is, and what will be. I'm a very lucky woman.

Quid wrote a poem. It ends with:

I inhabit
The memories of what was
And spend a little
Time thinking of what will be
I’ll love again
I’ll inhabit
Other people’s memories
When the sands run out.
I’m satisfied.
I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Somehow that just sort of fits with my daydreamy mood. Today, I will have a relaxing day with my friend. When I come home, there will be the pot of soup to finish making, and a myriad of other household chores to get done. I'll be working this weekend, and school resumes next week. The time of daydreams will be ended, and it will be time to be busy again.

Late Edit: I mistakenly attributed this poem to Kelly orginally. (Although I did link it to the proper website.) My sincerest apologies to Quid. I must have been daydreaming when I wrote the post. Heh. Also, I have to apologize to Kelly. I think she quite nearly had a heart attack when she saw it.

In my defense, I'd like to point out that I've never been the sharpest tool in the shed...

9 comments:

BUSH BABE said...

Bliss...

Mrs.Spit said...

I am glad.

steviewren said...

I love hearing good news. Now, get back to enjoying your week off!

Kelly said...

Yikes!!! That's Quid's poem, not mine!!! Please give credit where it's due. I dont write poetry, just read it.

Ro said...

Lovely :) xxx

Bill of Wasilla said...

I'm glad you're not a sharp tool in a shed, waiting to be used to cut something, but a bright woman who makes mistakes, just like I do, every damn day.

corymbia said...

Thanks so much for sharing that poem - just beautiful.

WhiteStone said...

I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed either. Last night I installed a window blind in the bathroom. Yep. Got one bracket up just fine. The other one went on sideways. This is invariably my do-it-yourself mode. Why do it once when you can do it twice or thrice. Doesn't make any difference whether it is installing a blind or sewing a garment or baking a cake. I've finally concluded I'm not perfect. Smashed that delusion long ago. LOL

quid said...

No problem at all. I'm just glad you liked it. I finished my day yesterday by copying and making a big pot of soup, to simmer all day and blend. There's a life's lesson in that act, don't you think?

quid