Friday, March 26, 2010

Snippets from a Wedding

Brianna looks so very happy. It is good to see that. At rehearsal tonight, when they read their vows to one another, it was hard not to get teary. Dylan got in while we were at the church for the rehearsal. I didn't recognize him at first. He shaved his head. Dylan is reading 1 Corinthians 13. After he did his part, I saw he and Cara nose to nose. I saw her pointing at him. She looked pretty intense. Thinking to nip the squabble in the bud, I headed over and put an arm around the two of them. "What's going on?" Cara grinned big. "I was telling Dylan that if God smites him while he's reading, that he needs to stop, drop, and roll." Turning back to Dylan, she said it again. "Remember Dylan: Stop. Drop. Roll." I rolled my eyes and left the two of them to their own. Ian, Cara's boyfriend, is here. He seems like a nice fellow. A librarian. He is very smart, and kind of shy. I told him, "It's okay. Don't worry. The last boyfriend? He deserved killin' " in my very best redneck voice. Tomorrow, the girls are all going to the spa. I will try to duck in for coffee at some point. I'm just not much of a spa girl, not really. Plus I don't have the time. I've got to iron Tim's shirt, and also, well, we have to figure out how to tie a tie. Tim has never worn one before. Lots of stuff going on, tomorrow. A big day for our family. My ex is here with his father. For all my worrying about things, all I really felt was sorry for him, a little. It must be awkward. His wife didn't come. Tim was to walk Brianna down the aisle. Then she decided to change it at the last minute to Tim and I. When it comes to the part about 'who offers this woman?', I found myself talking to Brianna. "What about if we all replied to that? Tim, me, your dad?" I said. That would make your father part of things too." And somehow, very quickly, it changed once more. She decided that all three of us are walking her down the aisle. The church has a huge center aisle that accomodates us all. And later, when we were all sitting down, I looked across my husband to my exhusband. He was overcome with emotion. You know. I worried so much about this, but it was okay. It felt like something had been laid to rest. I don't know how to explain it any better than that. It's just as if the past is the past. If Brianna can have him here, well, I can be gracious. It did not feel forced or awful. I think God must be at work.

11 comments:

WhiteStone said...

I'll be thinking of a wedding tomorrow. Good thing I'm not there...I get all sniffly and teary-eyed. God bless all of you.

Mrs.Spit said...

You've been in my thoughts all night. Glad things are going well.

BUSH BABE said...

Oh wow. Grace indeed. Wishing you all lots of joy in the next couple of days!!
:-)
BB

Twain12 said...

congratiolations , have a wonderful day

Lydia said...

I'm so glad it went well, and you had time getting settled into the dynamic. Prayers with you for the day!

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Whitestone wrote "I get all sniffly and teary-eyed" while at a wedding. Sheez, I just got all sniffly and teary-eyed just reading what you wrote about Brianna changing her mind from having only Tim walk her down the aisle to you, Tim and your ex-husband walk her down the aisle. Best wishes to all of you during today's events.

Kelly said...

Yes, it sounds like God is at work. I'll be thinking about y'all today and saying some special prayers.

Anonymous said...

God is good---ALL the time! I'm thanking Him for answered prayers! Hope the day is perfect for all of you. judy

PaintedPromise said...

aw Deb that brought tears to my eyes... and what a relief it must be for you, that the "mountain" situation seems to have maybe turned into a molehill...

i sure wish that would happen with my mountain of an ex. but then, neither of our girls is ready to plan a wedding, so maybe someday...

Lori said...

That's good. Peace is good.

Bob said...

I've been out a while, so catching up on all of this. Congratulations. Sounds as if all went well. And yes, God smiled on you.