Monday, March 29, 2010

Pictures, BB.

From left to right, Ian, Cara, and Dylan before the wedding.
Brianna and Tim

Brianna and I, both bawling.


Cara and Ian busting a move on the dance floor.

Brianna and Buddy.




Cara brought home Ian for the weekend. He's a funny boy, fit right in. Seemed not to be bothered by the fact that his girlfriend dropped him off in the middle of her family and got up early the next morning to head off to the spa before the wedding. Left him with a houseful of strangers. At the reception, I was blabbing away to Danny and Mary. My brother in law was at the table, and my nephew and his wife and their baby. When Ian walked in with Cara, Danny's eyebrows went up a little. "Hey," he said. "Doesn't he look like Harry Potter?" I squinted a little and said, "You know I thought he looked familiar. But listen, I want you to be nice to him. Don't go magic markering a little lightning bolt on his forehead or anything." Danny said, "No. Of course not. Unless he falls asleep." "Thanks, Danny. You're the best!"

And the reception went on. The food was good, and the champagne flowed, and there was lots of coffee and lots of talking. Babies to be dandled. Ultrasound pictures to be marveled over. Lots of laughter, and dancing and light spirits. And for all my worry, I was gracious. It wasn't even hard to be. It just seemed as if I was seeing things clearly. My exhusband and came and it was hard for him to be there. People were staring and he was ashamed. He could have chosen to stay away, made an excuse, but he did not. His daughter had invited him to the wedding, and he came because she had asked. I guess that I am sympathetic by nature. I saw how it was for him, and was able to be kind. He was more than civil, and so was I, and just knowing we could be like that was an eye opener for me. And my own family was just as they always are. They sat at at table in the corner glowering. Watching. Criticizing. At one point, Cara, the irrepressible, said, 'Smile!' and pushed up the corners of her uncle's mouth. And he growled, "There isn't anything to smile about." Foolish people, missing it all. They'll be as they are whether I'm anywhere around them or not. But everyone else? We were busy eating and drinking and making merry, and doing a fine job of it. I've got nieces and nephews who are really good people, and we celebrated this day. It was definately a night to remember.

Anyways, after the reception, Tim and I headed home. We were both partied out, and I was the tinsiest bit tipsy. At that point, I could only manage the stairs one painful step at a time, but I got there. Once in bed, I tossed and turned. Man, I was a hurting unit. The loud music and flashing lights, and all the laughing kept me smiling in the dark. I thought of the mother/bride dance. I never knew that such things were done, but Brianna chose Carrie Underwood's "Don't Forget to Remember Me" and we danced as the tears flowed. It's been an awkward trip for the two of us. We've stumbled along. I love her dearly. I know that she loves me. And now Buddy and she love each other. You can only wish them the best, and love them your best, and step back and watch them dance off in their own direction.
Finally, I got up to take some aspirin for my poor aching hip. In the livingroom, in the dark, Ian, Cara and Dylan sat watching The Lion King. "Sit down with us," Cara cried. And so I did. I thought that I was quite laughed out, but you know, I was wrong. We all sat together in the dim livingroom, and we reminisced about when they were all young, and we laughed some more.
For the entire day, we were caught up in life, swept along, celebrating a union, dandling babies, marveling at the children and how they've grown. Old friends laughed together as we watched young friends busting moves on the dance floor. Life swirled around us in a joyous flood, and later, in the dim living room, for a time, life even flowed backward. And it was all good.
More pictures later, but I've got a Psychology book calling my name.

22 comments:

Caroline said...

You all look gorgeous! It sounds like you had a wonderful time and it was a beautiful wedding.

Twain12 said...

great pictures, you all look wonderful and happy

Lydia said...

Fantastic -- love the dress, Debbie!

WhiteStone said...

Brianna is a beautiful bride! And I send "congrats" to her and her new hubby.

The evening must have been lovely...weddings are a time of such celebration and hope. I always enjoy the love and friendship that are so well celebrated at weddings. Life is hard and weddings remind us that life is also good!

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Brianna made a gorgeous bride; you looked lovely in your dress. It sounds as though most everyone had a great time.

Hal Johnson said...

What a fun post. Hope your hip gets better before the next dance event.:-)

A Novel Woman said...

I can't see the photos (it says Google server error when I try) but I love that you had a good time.

Karen said...

Nice pictures to go along with a beautiful post. So happy for you and your family, Debby.

Redlefty said...

Wonderful!

Kelly said...

A beautiful bride and wonderful pictures!! Thanks for sharing it all with us, Debby!

BUSH BABE said...

Oh WOW!!! That sounds just amazing... the way a wedding is SUPPOSED to be. All kinds of wonderful and sweet memory-making moments. Congrats to Brianna.

Did everyone tell you how beautiful you looked? Even while bawling? Heh.

How's the hip?

BB

Paula said...

Hey ... sounds like you had a mind blowing time ... and thats what got us through this totally grotty time ... days like that!!

Best wishes to the bride and groom too xx

Anonymous said...

Lovely wedding post Deb. Thanks for all the lovely photos too - really put me there. Hope your hip recovers too. What lovely memories it will leave for you all - and that's how it should be. May you all have many happy years ahead together even if miles apart.
You tell such a great story. I look forward to the book of your life experiences as an occupational therapist. I am sure it will be a great inspiring read. But I am running ahead. Back to psych! xxx Barb

Scotty said...

Great post, great pictures, and great that you and the ex could be civil on such an auspicious day (I know, it's difficult at times, but it's not impossible) - glad you had a good time.

:-)

jeanie said...

Sounds like a good time was had by all - I was going to be far more witty than this, catching up on your last weeks worth of posts but that was 12 hours ago now!!!

quid said...

Loved the post! Loved the pictures!

quid

Jayne said...

The photos are great and it was obviously a marvellous wedding for everyone :)

corymbia said...

Oh this post has made me cry again - in a totally good way for a change :)
Beautiful pictures, beautiful story :)

A Novel Woman said...

Yay, the photos finally came up. You look great and your eyebrows are beautiful dahling, just the way they are.

Hope your hip recovers, poor thing. Maybe it's trying to tell you you should dance more often?

Debby said...

Moan. NW? It's not telling me that right now. The old hip is saying 'sit'. Best way to describe it is like a horrible toothache in my hip.

Pencil Writer said...

Brianna looks beautiful. She looks a lot like you! Glad the wedding day/evening was great for you . . . except for the hip pain. Hope that goes away soon!

Lori said...

Wonderful! Your daughter made a beautiful bride!!