Saturday, March 13, 2010

Love

There is a couple at the nursing home. She is very frail, very elderly. He is very elderly, but hale and hearty. He comes in to be with her each and every day. Her mind is still good, and even though she's slumped in her chair, she'll lift her head some times, and you will see a twinkle in her eye. I imagine what she was like as a young woman. I imagine that she was spunky. All I know is that her husband is devoted to her. They sat today, talking quietly. I heard him say, "Can you open your eyes for me?" in a pleading sort of way. And she did. She raised her head up and looked at him. He continued talking quietly to her, their two heads close.

I couldn't help it. Today, when I passed them I said, "You know, I have to tell you, each and every time I see the word 'love', the two of you pop into my mind. And I think that it will probably be like that for the rest of my life. You two are beautiful." And he looked at me, and said, "Why, thank you," not at all embarrassed. And his tiny little wife raised up her head to look at me, and her eyes twinkled.

9 comments:

Jayne said...

Beautiful :)

Chez said...

Thanks for sharing Debby. Delightful!

BUSH BABE said...

Awwwww....

quid said...

How lovely!

quid

Kelly said...

Awww... how sweet!!

Scotty said...

*sniff*

Bob said...

So many times we need to say something but then think better of it. Of course sometimes we say things when we should have stayed quiet. You said just the right thing at the right time and gave a tremendous blessing in doing so.

Karen said...

This was a cute post. It reminds me to be so ever grateful for each day - and to give my family more hugs ...

PaintedPromise said...

*sniff* is right!!!

just proof to me of where Cara gets it from (see the McDonald's post earlier...)

it's easy to be a "sayer" and the world needs more of them... our troops are a good target for nice comments and thanks!