Friday, March 5, 2010

Friday Weigh In

Well, I have lost 11 pounds since the beginning of the year. Somehow, just reaching the double digit weight loss zone seems like a big accomplishment. I actually did not expect to do well this week. I have not been able to walk the track. Tuesday, I couldn't breathe. Thursday, I could breathe, but a persistent cough had set in. I thought to take a break this week, I'd focus on feeling better, and resume my regimen next week. I was pleasantly surprised to find that I continued right on losing weight anyway. I have no explanation other than I've been drinking lots and lots of water this week.



A friend of mine e-mailed from Florida (Hi, Susan!) She commented that she was trying to lose weight along with me. She also was quick to say that she wasn't 'trying to compete'. That set me back on my heels. I guess I don't see anyone as 'in competition with me'. Hop on board, Susan. I'll cheer for you just as loudly as you cheer for me.



The psychology test? Well. Yesterday, I got out of bed at 5:30 AM. I planned to go over the online material again. I was going to get to class early to have study time. I was tired, and moving slower than usual. In the middle of it all, I took a deep breath, and after I stopped coughing, said, "Self. You studied like crazy for that test. Trust yourself." And so I did. I got to class at the regular time, and took a few minutes to go over my notes again. Long story short? I did well on the test. I don't know how well, but I was a long way from failing it. I've got to learn to trust myself more. That doubting Debby is going to drive herself right around the bend.



I wrote three essays this week. One of my teachers made the comment that 'it had given her goosebumps'. That was kind of cool. Math continues to be inexplicably easy for me. I did my homework yesterday between classes when I could not walk the track.



It is sunny outside, and it is supposed to be in the forties today.



I go to Clarion tomorrow to pick up Cara for spring break (mine doesn't happen until the last two weeks of March...). Still, it will be good to have her home.



Brianna's wedding arrangements are well under way. I've got to figure out centerpieces. (E-mail me with ideas.)



I'm busy. Happy. Productive. It does not get better than this.

12 comments:

WhiteStone said...

Your last line says it all.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Congratulations on the weight loss and doing well in your classes. I am really liking our weather the past couple days and the forecast for the weekend! Spring is coming; I can feel it!

steviewren said...

Congrats on the weight loss, aceing your pcyhe test and for writing "goosebumps" quality papers. As to doing inexplicably well on math....You're the bomb! Math is not my best subject.

Have a great weekend.

Redlefty said...

You have a two-week spring break? Nice!

Debby said...

Yep, RL. Nice is right, I'm going to go all wild and get all caught up on laundry. And that is as close as this girl will get to a wet t-shirt contest.

Reb said...

The one and only upside to being sick is that all that coughing and trying to breath burns off calories :) Gotta be a silver lining to that wretched bug, don't ya think?
Reb

Kelly said...

Drinking plenty of water is key in weight-loss.

Life sounds good!

Lydia said...

Glad you are losing weight! I went on a week long vacation and gained back 2 out of the 3 pounds I lost. Back at it!

Centerpieces -- I don't have any suggestions on what to do, but I can tell you a "don't". If you do the pretty fish in the glass vase with the candle floating on top, make sure the fish are NOT air breathers as they can't come up to the surface for air. The evening starts off really nice with the fish looking so pretty, but by the time you are done with the dollar dance they start going belly up.... not so nice to have a bunch of dead fish at the end of the reception.... :}

Anonymous said...

"Math continues to be inexplicably easy for me"
Excellent. This will put you in good stead for when you start learning inferential statistics

Congratulations on all your personal and scholastic success.

Cheers,
DavidM

Debby said...

David M. *moan*

Lydia - future son in law did speak of fish. I said no, because I am squeamish about handling them (a dead one will make me sick to flush) Good to have a better reason than that. Reb: so what you're saying here, is that if I manage to hang on to this cold until the end of the month, I'll be a skinny gal. Hm... *coff* *hack* *wheeze* No. I'd rather lose the weight the old fashioned way: by depriving myself and exercising.

BUSH BABE said...

Good on you (as long as you are looking after yourself and not working too hard!)... had no doubts about either the psych or maths. You're smart. Get your head around it girl!!

Centrepieces... we just did candles on timber holders with some ivy wrapped around the base. Simple. Same as me.
:-)
BB

Brianna said...

Ooooh, Mom! I love BB's suggestion! Nice, simple, and now that Cara's home, we can all of us work on it together! As for the psych test... could've told you you'd do well! After all, you were EXCELLENT at the whole reverse-psychology thing when we were kids, LOL! Love ya!