Thursday, March 18, 2010

Dazzling with Bull

Today in English Composition class, we were all sitting around talking about essay topics. The teacher was trying to explain that if our topic was one that people knew something about, we would not have to cite references, but if we were talking, say, about the Iditarod, we might have to spend more time providing background. Being tired, and too warm, I decided to have fun. So I said, "Today, Lance Mackey won his fourth straight Iditarod. No one else has ever done that before." Lance Mackey is a cancer survivor who deals with some major physical challenges as a result of it, but like the champion that he is, he pushes through them, and beyond them. Today he won the Iditarod. I could have also said that Melanie and Charlie went to see him off Sunday, but I didn't. The class stared. Kevin, sitting next to me, looked over, with sort of an amazed look, and said, "You are just full of useless information..." I smiled sweetly. Thanks, Bill. You are ever educational.

4 comments:

steviewren said...

I heard about Mr. Mackey's amazing 4th win. Yea for him...don't ya love dropping useless information on people? I do...it's the geek in me I guess.

Bill of Wasilla said...

You're welcome. I'm glad my little blog helped you stand out today. And tell Kevin his definition of useless is worthless.

Kelly said...

I learned more than I had ever known before about the Iditarod last winter when I did a women's outdoor program in Wisconsin. It was great fun for a southerner like me!

WhiteStone said...

I stand with Bill's second sentence.