Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Routine

Well. I had a math test Monday. It seemed easy enough, but you know, I'm not confident enough to say that I aced that test. The frustrating thing about math is that I sometimes overlook really dumb things, make minor mistakes, the like. So I won't actually know how I did until next Monday, not for sure anyway.

One of my teachers (the one who wrote 'I'll be really proud to see you graduate,' on my first essay), happened to overhear a joking comment that the girl behind me made.
"She can't help it, she's from Pennsylvania." (The college is over the border in New York). The teacher said, "Hey! I'm from Pennsylvania." I looked at her interestedly and said, "Really? So am I," and I asked where she was from, and she said, 'Youngsville,' which is where I grew up. Strangest, funniest thing. I went to school with her mother. We rode the same bus. That was neat.

You know, I tossed and turned last night. I had dreams about psychology class. I've been worried about it. She had singled me out in class on Thursday, and I was worried that she would do it again. I made up my mind not to get in a 'pissing contest' with the teacher. Her behavior does not dictate mine. After a night of tossing and turning, well, strangely, she was better today. I wasn't the only one who thought so. What a relief! I was dreading that class more than words can say.

After school, I went to work. Four little old ladies who sit at the same table are so complimentary. They never miss a chance to say a nice thing. "They hired a good one when they hired you," they told me today. Later I commented to a coworker, "What sweet ladies they are..." They laughed hard. Turns out, these ladies are pretty darn hard to please, and are pretty grumpy.

So, all in all, it's been a successful kind of day. I'm tired, and I'm going to bed.

8 comments:

corymbia said...

Hope the psych teacher has had a bit of a think about her own behaviour....
...and I'll bet the old ladies at the table were happy they hired you. Care and compassion and intelligence rolled into one!

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

Glad to hear you had a good day. Compliments go a long way to smoothing the way.

Kelly said...

Okay, I missed something somewhere. Where are you working??

BUSH BABE said...

Hmmmm... hello psych teacher! We call people who look but don't comment 'lurkers' y'know? Hellloooooooo!!!
:-)
BB

WhiteStone said...

Yah, when I get into a home I'll be hard to please and grumpy to boot but if you're there I'll have someone interesting to talk to. lol

Bill of Wasilla said...

Sometimes, I think about going back to school, still. But I wouldn't want to take any math tests.

I had enough of that when I was young.

You have much courage. You even please the hard to please, which must be pretty pleasing to you.

Jayne said...

Glad to hear the psych teacher was better behaved this week!

Just found that a huge slab of the ancestors settled in Pennsylvania, areas called Mt Joy, Huntingdon, Lincoln, Littlestown, York, Cumberland(?) raise your pinky when anything rings a bell lol.

Debby said...

Oh, BB! Do you think the psych teacher is a lurker? I suppose it is possible. Jayne: that is pretty neat! Those places are on the other side of the state, but if you would ever would like material on the state, let me know, although I imagine pretty much everything is on the internet. WhiteStone: I seem to have a way with the ornery. I'll bet I can deal with anything you could dish out. Bring it on, sister. Bill and Linda: I'd rather please them then listen to complaints. Kelly, I work in the kitchen of a nursing home. It is, physically, the hardest job that I've ever had in my life. Seriously. I am on the go from the time I hit the front door until I leave. But I love the people, and the best thing is serving them. I have that little bit of time to joke and talk to them, and pat them on the shoulder. It makes the rest of it worthwhile. My coworkers are awfully nice, so that's a plus too. The facility is also glad to work around my school schedule.