Saturday, February 20, 2010

Redbox

Sorry! Edits are for those folks who are not familiar with the Redbox empire.

We rented a video from Redbox for Saturday night. As is our custom, we returned it on the way home from church Sunday. We had gone to soup and pie luncheon at church, so it was not until probably 2 PM. Tim is kind of compulsive about checking our balances and does so at least twice a day online. He was outraged to discover that we had been charged $4.24 on our account by Redbox. I called. They claim the movie had not been returned until Wednesday. *blink* "Um. No. It was returned on Sunday. Right after church." The young man taking the call had a terrible enunciation problem. "Becausewevalueyouasacustomer,we'llremovethosechargesfromyour account." I said, "Well, that's nice, but really, the big issue here is how did this happen to begin with? I mean, how can we be sure that this won't happen again?" "Usuallywhenthishappensthecustomerhasimproperlyreturnedthevideo,andsomeoneelserentsitandthe returndateonthevideobecomeswhentheyreturnedit." "But all you do is make a selection on the screen. It tells you to insert the video, and then you do. And it tells you that the video was successfully returned. How could it be improperly returned. You can't insert the movie until you're instructed to. I don't understand." *long pause. dog snored. crickets chirped* Finally understanding that it was his turn to talk, he said, "usuallywhenthishappensthecustomerhasimproperlyreturnedthevideo..."

Yeah. I think that we better stick to renting videos face to face. Depending on your take, Tim and I are so technologically handicapped that we can't properly use a Redbox, or there is a glitch in the system. It's either very sad, or very scary.

9 comments:

WhiteStone said...

Murphy's Law. This surely has something to do with Murphy's Law. Such as when "peoplewhospeaklikethisreallyarentmuchhelp and so they are bound to mess you up; therefore you should use all due diligence that theynevergetasecondchance."

BUSH BABE said...

Ummm... what is redbox?
Signed,
The bushie who apparently lives in the last century.
:-)

Mrs.Spit said...

Also, you and Tim get blamed. Which is pretty impressive, all things considered. I mean, think about it - on the one hand "becauseyouareavaluedcustomer" they'll forgive the fee, but this happened because their system made an error. Nice. ..

Mary Paddock said...

One word: Netflix. We've been using them for two years. No late fees. Just a flat monthly rate.

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

We rent from Redbox. Bob always waits until the screen says that the DVD has been received or returned (I don't know the exact wording). I always check our credit card bill. I haven't had any problem, yet, with Redbox; however, I have had other charges appear incorrectly. We have used Netflix, too. I like Netflix, but sometimes movies would sit unlooked at for days at a time. With Redbox we can rent a movie WHEN we want to watch a movie. We are considering returning to Netflix, though, when it ties in with Nintendo Wii. We understand that will happen sometime in the Spring.

steviewren said...

Lots of people here use Redbox. I went with my daughter yesterday to pick up a movie for her husband. I'd heard about it a lot, but had never noticed the boxes. Whoever thought it up had a great idea...cheap rental, easy to use...now they just need to work on improving their customer service.

Anonymous said...

Debby, I have no internet service and yet have somehow have managed to leave this. It's a 'Weird One!'
Be back as soon as I can
Chez Radford

Kelly said...

I'm with Mary... Netflix!

rhubarbwhine said...

I am glad you added the edits - thanks! I love the layout of your blog now, it's so easy to read, lovely xx