Wednesday, February 10, 2010

A Post about Nothing

Applicant for our apartment: "Well, I'm not employed, but my mom will give me six months rent, and by then, my boyfriend will be out of jail, and he'll be moving in too, and between the two of us, we'll be able to make the rent. I'm hoping to have disability then too, because I'm schizophrenic. I really need to get another place because while I was in jail for shoplifting, somebody broke into my apartment and my landlord is blaming me. He thinks that I'm a security problem, and he's evicting me."

*slack jawed stares of astonishment*

This is an actual conversation. She was just so jubilantly matter of fact about everything. It amazes both of us. Tim 'googled' her name when we got home. She has a pretty extensive number of entries on the police blotter.

The good news is that we do think we have a very nice tenant picked out. He'll fit in well with the rest of the building. That's a relief. We have not told him our decision yet, but he'll be relieved too. He's been looking, and been getting very discouraged. He said that the last apartment that he had looked at reeked so very badly of cat urine that it made his eyes water.

On a totally unrelated topic, the sky is interesting tonight. I wish that I was a photographer. We're getting some pretty steady snow and the sky is heavily clouded. It was actually reflecting the town light back down, adding a mysterious glow to the night. It was just cool. One of those small remarkable moments that you'll never forget. I've just been sitting here thinking about other remarkable moments. There are so many of them, and strung together, they are a life. I am a wonderfully, wonderfully blessed woman.

That's it really.

13 comments:

Karen said...

Wow! The applicant's background and story make me feel pretty blessed, too!

Here's hoping that the right tenant comes along, and that the poor woman gets her feet planted firmly ... real soon.

corymbia said...

I'm astonished you passed on that girl ... what a *ripper* tennant she would have made <--- sarcasm

Caroline said...

Now I feel like my life isn't so bad compared to her!

Debby said...

The thing is, I have a child with problems, too. (Not that severe, thank goodness). I cannot help but feel sorry, and even wish that I could help. What is that girl going to do, after all? But having someone who steals (and forthrightly admits it) in the building puts the other tenants at risk. It sounds as if she hangs around a pretty unsavory crowd. Such a sad little life, but yet she's so cheerful about everything, as if she's part of a made for television movie drama.

Lydia said...

Oh my, that is a hum-dinger. It is really too bad that this girl is in the position she is in, however, I live by the motto -- Just because you have a problem, doesn't mean I have to make it mine. A little cold-hearted, but you must protect the people in your building.

If it is OK to share a rental experience: I had an applicant for an apartment that listed a store as a place of employment. When I checked her references, the store owner informed me that not only was she never employed there, he was looking for her because she had stolen goods from the store. ... i guess that is employment of a type.... i didn't rent to her...

Mikey said...

Oh wow. No, lol, that's not exactly good references there.... I'm as stunned as you are... wow. People never cease to amaze me..

Kelly said...

Well, I guess you have to give her an A for honesty in spilling it all to you. Truly a sad situation for her, but not something you can subject yourself or your other tenants to.

Glad to hear you do have someone in mind, though.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am so glad to hear things like this happen to other landlords sorry Debby but it really does make me feel like I have not had the worst of those kind of applicants! I am so glad my nephew is my tenant now and things are wroking out so well , I dont look forward to having to rent our apt out again hope it wont be for a very long time. Good luck on the tenant you have chosen, hope all works out as with me last year when I did decide on a few tenants then they backed out on me and I mahd to keep interveiwing! Debbie L.

A Novel Woman said...

Your nothings are always something!

steviewren said...

Debby, your conversation with the applicant reminds me of so many we have with our customers at work. They are funny and pitiful at the same time. It makes a person wish there was something to be done.

Today a customer came in again. And again today he tried to open the window instead of the door to leave the office...we had to call out "it's to your right"....yes, he was driving...we stood at the window and watched...scary!

BUSH BABE said...

What ANW said... it's never nothing round here!

Daria said...

You changed the look of your blog ... I had to double check to make sure it was yours ... making changes to the blogs look is so much fun.

Roland said...

I like the new blog format!

:)