Sunday, February 28, 2010

I read a lot of blogs. It is my 'me time', my selfishness that I spend an hour in the morning, usually, just reading, tripping through other blogs. seeing how other people think. Today, two in particular have hit a mark. DavidM's post on silliness, for one. How long has it been since I allowed myself to simply wallow in giggles? Two times come to mind...watching Mr. Bean with friends Mary and Danny. Nobody else 'gets him' in my family, but Mary and Danny loved him. We laughed until we were weak, until the tears flowed. Another time? The kids had all come home for Christmas, and they got into a reminiscing mood, and they were laughing heartily at their own foibles. It was the first time that I had heard many of these stories, and I sat there in my bathrobe, turban covering my newly bald head, and I listened, and I laughed just as hard as they did.

I think that we all have a great laugh inside of us, but that sometimes it gets trapped behind fear and guilt and shame and a host of other negative emotions. Sometimes we simply forget that it is there. I read DavidM's blog, and I clicked on his links, and I laughed. It felt wonderful. I have determined that I shall laugh more. Thank you, DavidM for your silly post!

Laura Janewrote about 'Hearing the Call', and I find myself intrigued by the idea of 'my secret self'. I have determined to find this out. I'm so busy 'doing' that sometimes I cease to 'be'. An interesting trail of thinking.

I think that it is an interesting thing. I read blogs and learn a great deal about you...but along the way, surprisingly, I am learning a lot about myself. Thanks.

8 comments:

Laura Jane said...

Thanks for the plug Deb, I'm glad you like the idea of Secret Selves, its an exploration well worth doing...look where it led me!

And would you mind (pretty please) correcting my name to Laura? Thanks sweetie x

Linda (PA_shutterbug) said...

I feel so relaxed and happy after bouts of laughter so hard that my belly hurts and it looks like I am crying. Have a great day on this snowy last day of February!

Debby said...

Oh, Laura Jane. Is my face red.... I am sorry. Don't know what I was thinking. Or maybe I just wasn't. *sigh*

Kelly said...

Laughter is something that has never been lacking in my life. Good times, bad times, life, death... laughter has played a part in it all. I'm pretty easily entertained. (and it's great for keeping one's sanity)

Bill of Wasilla said...

Glad I'm on your list of daily blog-reading. I always enjoy finding your comments. I'm certain that you do the same for all these blogs you read. I wonder how you find the time and energy.

BUSH BABE said...

You know the first place I heard the expression "Life's Funny Like That" was in the Readers' Digests piled high in our library. And Laughter Is the Best Medicine is also one of the regular spots. Classic...

Blog reading is also my favourite bit of 'me' time - sometimes I laugh, sometimes I cry. Mostly I feel connected. Three excellent reasons to keep on keeping on.
:-)
BB
PS Thanks for sweet comment at Ree's place today...

Debby said...

Three excellent reasons for keeping on...well, BB, you've got another: you keep 'placing' in Ree's photography things. You take mighty fine pictures, ma'am!

Paula said...

You know ... I said to my husband over the weekend ... isn't it weird how the world now works. I was talking about your comment on my blog ... I had been for my latest appointment and you asked about my proposed surgery. I said to my husband isn't amazing - I don't know you - you live on another continent - but you have read my blog and have been thinking and asking after me. That we have struck up this wonderful mutual interest/friendship.

I like blogs ... help me feel "not too mad" ... and on many occasions give me comfort and inspiration ....

Thank you!

P xoxox