Friday, February 19, 2010

Friday Weigh In

Jees oh pete! I almost forgot the Friday morning weigh-in. I lost two pounds this week, which brings my total weight loss to 9 lbs for the year. Next week I should hit double digits. Things will start getting exciting then, by golly!

Roland had a post about emotional eating. I'm an emotional eater too. In fact this week, I found myself craving chocolate. It's not an uncommon dilemma for me. When the going gets rough, I want a candy bar. What makes it different is that I know at the end of the week, I have to tell you all how much I've lost. The fear of embarrassing myself generally trumps the craving. Additionally, I've discovered that cravings don't really last all that long. Like a child's temper tantrum, a craving will quiet down fairly quickly if you simply ignore the initial impulse. My final little trick is pretty simple. I don't carry money with me. If I have money in my pocket, I might be tempted by the vending machines I walk past at school, or at work. If I don't have the change, I can't buy junk food impulsively.

I've got a second motivator to continue losing weight. My Brianna is getting married on March 27th. There will be pictures, I'm sure. I don't want to spoil them. I'm not sure what I'm going to wear yet. Buddy's mom is wearing mauve. I think that we are supposed to coordinate, right? I've never done this before, so I don't know. Lot to learn, and not a lot of time to learn it.

Weight loss is a slippery slope. Interestingly, I'm finding that as the pounds come off, it becomes easier and easier to tell myself no, to make good food choices, to exercise just a little bit more. I think that it also helps that I'm feeling good about school, and productive at work. Feeling good about myself makes it easier for me to continue doing what I need to be doing -- and it makes me feel even better about myself. And if those things fail me, if I find my motivation flagging, I've always got my secret weapon. I think about fat cells producing their tiny amounts of estrogen. I think back to those scary days of cancer. Yeah. I really don't want to do that again.

15 comments:

BUSH BABE said...

You GO girl... I am ABOUT to weigh in. Promise. Right after I have a little sleep...
:-)
BB

Lydia said...

Yea for you!!! I'm so proud of your weight loss. I'm still at 3 pounds. I need to kick it up.

Roland said...

Funny! On some office days, I don't dare carry dollar bills because I know the vending machine will call to me. :)

WhiteStone said...

Often when I have a craving I find that I am actually craving water and a glass of H20 somehow relieves the craving.

Redlefty said...

A couple of weeks ago I was in an east-coast airport and they had a vending machine with the message "GET FIT, GET STRONG, GET HEALTHY!" across the top. But it was the same crap as every other vending machine -- powdered donuts, chips, candy bars, etc...

I skipped it but not because of self-control. The flight I was getting on had been warned of very stormy/bumpy conditions, so it was not time to fill the belly.

Congrats on the 9 pounds!

A Novel Woman said...

Congrats!!

I have given up sugar and coffee. The sugar because I eat too much, and the coffee because I drink it with cream. I've tried milk, and it ain't the same, so tea with milk it is.

The first few days were brutal, more for the people around me than for me, I suspect. But after that first week, I've found I'm not as hungry (ravenous) as I usually am. Down 4 pounds.

And no, the mother of the bride doesn't have to match, she just shouldn't clash.

Debby said...

*shrieks, stomps foot*

See. NW woman gives up sugar and loses four pounds. What the heck is up with that. I pick along at my one and two pound loss rate. Woohoo!
(Was that a sarcastic woohoo? Um. Maybe just a tinsy bit...)

Redlefty, LOL as usual. Roland, I've never heard them calling you. Just me. Huh. Isn't that odd?

So we've got 2 pounds, 3 pounds, and 4 pounds (I hate you NW), and a let me sleep on it.

Grahamn Kracker said...

I haven't drank a Pepsi since Monday - or any other soda pop.

See what you are doing to me?

(Sometimes, because I have to fill in so many spaces when I am Bill of Wasilla, it is just easier to be Grahamn Kracker).

Jayne said...

I'm eating Granny Smith apples for breakkie as I type this lol.

Kelly said...

It's a constant fight for me. I've been slack the past couple of months. Time for me to put the gloves back on. *sigh*

quid said...

Congrats on the wedding!

corymbia said...

Well done you - and what an incentive! (congrats)
I put on 15 kg (~33 pounds) last year while I was studying (how you may well ask .... open bag of clinkers by the computer is my answer).
Last weekend I decided to re-start doing weight watchers (which helped me lose my post baby weight a few years ago).
Tomorrow is official weigh-in for me, but according to today's weigh-in, I'm down 1.2 kgs this week (~2.6lbs).
Of course, me being me, I have already spreadhseeted my food, points and weight data and predicted how long it will take me to hit my goal weight .... but for me seeing the graph pointing down is a very good incentive to stay on track :)

jeanie said...

We actually bought scales a few weeks ago - bad move. I now know that I am about the same (over)weight that I was before I got pregnant. The same in the morning, the same in the evening, the same every darn time (which is really frequently) I hop on the scales - okay, I lie, sometimes I am up to 3 kg heavier.

Last time - I lost weight really easily. Of course, I also had a relationship disintegrate and only ate boiled eggs on toast for 6 months (can be prepared and eaten with one hand) so all in all, I prefer fat right now.

Debby said...

Jeanie - now is not the time for you to think of losing weight. PS. Just the fact that you are the same weight you were pre-pregnancy is amazing to me.

Brianna said...

Hey Mom, here's a tip: eat LOTS of fish! I lost about 10-15 lbs. that way!