Monday, February 22, 2010

The Concert

I prepared a couple posts in advance, because I knew that we would not be getting back until late last night. We saw Aaron Shust and Mercy Me at the Warner Theatre. We went with my oldest friend, Mary and her husband, Danny. We drove for an hour and a half and chattered non-stop the whole way. Even Tim, who is quiet by nature, did a surprising amount of talking. That's the magic of long time friendships, I guess. All I know is that I value my friends. So, yeah, it's like they say, it's not the destination, but the journey. We enjoyed that journey.

We stopped and had supper out, a rare thing for us, but what the hey! This was a night to splurge. The restaurant was just a fast food place called 'Hoss's' but it billed itself as the world's best salad bar. Since Mary and I are on the never ending diet, we were game, and the salad bar was excellent. Stuffed pepper soup, and all sorts of salads, and all sorts of things to make salads from, and all sorts of dressings to put atop those salads etc. There was a dessert bar too, which we will not speak of. I had a helping of honeydew but while I was getting that, a tiny helping of bread pudding found its way onto the plate. I was horrified to find it lurking there behind the melon, but I can't abide waste. I ate it. Three bites. As usual, after succumbing to temptation, I discovered that really, it wasn't all that great, and regretted it.



Aaron Shust was great. We had great seats, directly in front of the stage, 12 rows back.



Mercy Me was excellent. Truly excellent. By the time they launched into Tom Petty's 'I Won't Back Down', everyone was on their feet and rocking it. It was high energy, with lights and smoke. There was music, of course, and there was God talk, and the most amazing thing was that the very same theater that rang with the thunderous music just seconds before would somehow manage to ring with the silence of hundreds of people. The contrast was a powerful thing.
The music was great, the message was awesome, and it ended like this: A hymn was begun, and the crowd began to sing. "let it be a sweet, sweet sound..." and very slowly, the lights went down. The band left the stage in darkness, and hundreds of people swayed together and finished the hymn. The message was clear. We had all come to hear a great show, and we had, and now it was our turn to sing out, and we did.



When we finished, there was a silence and then the crowd headed for the aisles, smiling at each other, and praising God, galvanized by the show that we had just seen. It was joy, my friends, and it was electric. I can't describe it any better than that.

2 comments:

Kelly said...

It sounds like your experience was equal to mine.

Glad y'all enjoyed it!

corymbia said...

Sounds like an awesome concert.