Sunday, January 3, 2010

Quiet

Tonight the snow falls. It blows. It accumulates. In my opinion, it is cold outside, 18 degrees. But if you were to ask people like WhiteStone or Wasilla Bill about this, they'd tell you that it was warm here. They're right. Compared to where they are at, it's downright balmy here. Bill would probably get all excited and want to go surfing or some such thing. Probably to avoid arguments from those who live in iceboxes, I just better avoid any discussions about our weather.

BB asked me once if we have a warm house. Yes. I have to say that we do. Tim walks around here with a thermo gun and takes temperatures compulsively. He figures out where our heat loss is, and he figures ways to solve the problem. We also have a super efficient Danish woodboiler (HS Tharm) that we actually imported maybe 7 or 8 years ago before they became widely available in the states. We have plenty of firewood, for this year, and even part of what we need for next year. I have lots of good warm wool sweaters, thanks to the 29 cent sales at the local Goodwill. So yes. We stay nice and warm in this house. No worries there. Even before chemo brought on bouts of spontaneous combustion, I never had to worry about being cold.

So it is a quiet night here. The wind howls. Cara and I had to make an emergency run to the Walmart, and the roads were miserable, but we picked our way off the hill carefully, and we climbed back up the hill after we were done, the studded tires never slipping at all. We are just about to sit down and watch Liam Neeson in 'The Other Man'. The turkey carcass from today's meal simmers in my new crock pot. Tomorrow, I will turn it in to turkey/wild rice soup. I baked rolls and cinnamon rolls today from the very best recipe, and I will make more of them tomorrow.

Every season has its blessings, and winter's blessing is in its quietness.

11 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

Ahh, so it was 5 here, and I went for a nice run. (Well, not nice, but run). We have a cold house. But, it's old and not well insulated, so we have blankets and shawls and slippers and sweaters, and it's fine.

Kelly said...

Well, it's 34 here and supposed to get down to 25 overnight. Very cold, in my opinion... but I'm a southerner so what can I say?

Sounds cozy up your way.

WhiteStone said...

I'm just grateful I live close to downtown in our little tiny town and that I do not have to work outdoors! Other than shoveling snow, that is. And, yes, I repeat myself, I envy you your Danish woodboiler. If I ever go through PA I want to stop and see your woodboiler. You WILL have coffee on, right?

Mary Paddock said...

Dang it Deb! I'm on a low carb diet and there you go talking about sweet rolls (which I never, ever wanted until just this minute . . .)

Our home is warmer this year than others as we've given up on the central heat (which was draining the coffers) and moved to simply heating the rooms we're using. I have lots of old sweaters and adore quilts, downy comforters, coffee and tea and cats and big, furry dogs. :)

We are headed into the single digits tonight and very likely negatives tomorrow night.

quid said...

I get to get in on a cold weather discussion!

It is 41 in this part of Florida, and supposed to go between 27 and 31 tonight. A freeze. Very uncommon. I am smart enough not to have my air conditioning on.

I laughed out loud when I read the phrase "studded tires". The question came... "what are you laughing at?"... I then got to explain to my metropolitan and warm weather child what studded tires are. I got the same blank stare I got when I told him about a headbolt heater. The same... "are you for real?" I got when I happened to mention that when I was growing up, margarine was illegal in Minnesota (a butter state). I can't help it. There were things in my life as a person from a cold rural state that Florida people just don't believe.

Studded tires. :)

Beth said...

turkey rice soup sounds great! i've been using the crock pot a lot in this cold weather (-34C the other day!) Glad to see you are doing well...

Karen said...

Happy New Year, Debby, and as a fellow Pennsylvanian, you are correct: It's downright frigid here. Don't like the cold, but this, too, will pass. After all, the days ARE getting longer now, right?!? ;)

Enjoy your evening.

Bill of Wasilla said...

Glad you finally have some nice weather to enjoy.

BUSH BABE said...

Peaceful, warm, with buns baking... can I curl up in the corner at your house for a while?
:-)
BB

Lydia said...

Sounds like a wonderful day. mmmmmm Buns...

Lori said...

We're supposed to get snow tomorrow and the weekend is supposed to be bitterly cold. We're managing to stay warm inside, and I've been doing a lot of baking too. Hey, it helps to keep the house warm, right?