Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Huh.

I took the college placement exam tonight. I walked in there with my three sharpened pencils and set them on my desk. I was immediately reminded of a Mr. Bean sequence, and wanted to burst out laughing. Probably stress. One quick look around proved to me what I already expected...I was easily the oldest person there. Even older than the proctor. Dangly earrings aren't going to make you feel any better about that, and I didn't dare to wear high heels. It was icy and I was sure that I'd bust my butt. So yeah, no false bravado radiating from my ears and feet. I was on my own, and I began to feel nervous. We began the test, and one by one, the kids finished and headed out, one at a time, until there were only two of us left in the room. I put the finishing touches on my essay, and then stood up at the same time that the girl behind me did. The proctor headed back to her, and so I stepped out into the hall to snorf down some coffee and take deep cleansing breaths. Naturally, I found someone to talk to, a secretary from the company and Tim and I met at all those many years ago when I first came back to Pennsylvania with the kids. She was thrilled to see me, and we were quickly catching each other up on what we'd been doing in the intervening years. The proctor stepped out into the hall, and it was the moment of truth.

Turns out I'm smart. Turns out that she believes that now is the time for me to get started in school, that I will be eligible for a lot more grants and scholarships because Cara is in college as well. Turns out that she is quite adamant that I should avoid job training programs and go straight for the degree.

I know that I'm not stupid, but I'm a little amazed to find myself deemed 'college material'. Tim says this proves what he's known right along. Tomorrow, I'll begin the financial aid stuff. Tonight, I'm simply going to let it all sink in.

I'm going to college.

And just typing those words, just seeing them on the screen, well, I've got tears in my eyes.

22 comments:

Lori said...

Me too!!
Good for you, and I'm glad you're going for it!

A Novel Woman said...

I think you're wonderful. (happy sigh)

No, really.

RedWifey said...

Congratulations!!!!! That's very exciting!

WhiteStone said...

Debby, you'll love school. Even when it gets grueling. lol. Adults who have lived a few years beyond their early 20s are great students. I'm not certain I even began "thinking" until I was close to 30. I certainly don't reMEMber thinking! Maybe my memory is bad.

Ash said...

Congratulations :)

BUSH BABE said...

Oh, I had tears in my eyes long before I got to that last sentence... fan-bloody-tastic!!!
*hugs*
BB

Mrs. Spit said...

Huh my butt. The rest of us knew you could do it.

My mother went back to law school. You can totally do this!

quid said...

If you go to college, become an RN. Take that passion for life and people and use it on them. And you will never have to worry about a job again in your lifetime. I promise.

Sigh. Someone give me money. I need to not work for one year to do this same thing....only, I have a degree. Unlike you, Debby, I want to go to ultrasound school. Just imagine wearing scrubs for the rest of your life, and sharing all those magic, Godlike moments with new mothers and dads.

quid

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, that's great. Julie

Redlefty said...

Enjoy freshman year! I look forward to your autumn 2010 stories of drunkenness, weight gain and general debauchery!

Kelly said...

Congratualtions!! Don't you feel like you have the whole world in front of you?? You might have already said, but I've slept since then and don't remember.... what are you thinking about studying?

On the same line with what Quid said...my daughter is an RN in Day Surgery and Chemo. Think what a blessing you could be working with Chemo patients!

Redlefty's comment still has me laughing....

Debby said...

Kelly, Occupational Therapy, which would be helping people to live on their own. I think it would be a good fit. Redlefty! Oooh. Redlefty! There will be no weight gain. I do so solemnly swear that there will be no weight gain. Bite your tongue, man.

Thanks everybody. Isn't it great? I just can't believe it myself.

lydia said...

Wow. I'm so very proud of you for stepping out of ye olde comfort zone.

I am so moved by the confirmation of what Tim (and all of us) knew all along. You are a smarty-pants. :}

Yea for you!

Jayne said...

Woooohooooo!
Good on you!
That is fan-bloody-tastic, Debby :)

Anonymous said...

Like BB above, I teared up a bit too, because I just thought it was a 'given' for you and knew you were right for it all along. And Occupational Therapy is just you. You will be just so good at it with your caring and empathy with people. Go Deb! Love Barb

Linda D. said...

Congratulations! It is always nice to hear about a person our age going back to school. I look forward to hearing about your experiences.

Gayla said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Great job my friend :)
For now I had to go with business school because of tuition costs. I so wanted to start back up on my degree this year but money is needed elsewhere in our life. It's just not to be right now. So I will keep studying with Career Step and be a certified medical coder by May and employed soon after. From there I hope to return to college to take my placement exams (again..lol) and with luck and perseverance I will have funding for tuition.
Good luck to you! And you are never, ever to old to return to college.
Hugs, Gayla

Bob said...

YEA!!!! Great job! I want to go back to school and study (1) English; (2) Psychology; (3) Music; (4) Spanish. For starters.

You are at the brink of living your dream; congratulations! It's your turn!

Laura Jane said...

Oh! OH! How utterly wonderful! I knew it!

(and I am sooking for you too).

I went back to university at the age of 41 and did a science degree then a postgraduate qualification to attain my heart's desire which was midwifery. And now I am doing it and living it and I am still pinching myself with delight. I completely understand the feeling of being on the brink of something life-changing and fabulous.

Go for it, Debby, I'm SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!

jeanie said...

Woo hoo - glad the exams agree with all of us!

Daria said...

I'm so happy for you ... I just finished my diploma from a college ... took years and years of night classes but I am so proud of myself.

All the best to you.

PaintedPromise said...

"And just typing those words, just seeing them on the screen, well, I've got tears in my eyes. "

And just seeing those words, I've got teras in MY eyes... I'm so proud of and happy for you Deb! Randy is hoping that voc rehab will put him in school very soon... the thought just makes me shudder though. school was not my happy place lol... i'd rather hang out with my donks ;)