Friday, January 29, 2010

Friday Weigh In

Drum roll please... I lost another two pounds. Actually, it was over two pounds, just a bit, but I have those darn doctor scale type thing, and figuring it out would require that I find my reading glasses, and doing that before I'd had coffee just seemed like a lot of work, and so I decided that the mature thing (it's only coincidental that it's the easiest thing as well) was to just call it two pounds and go to the coffee pot, go directly to the coffee pot, and so I did. Now I'm sitting here with my morning cup, slowly waking up and reading about what's going on in the great world of blogs. For those following this saga with bated breath, that's a total weight loss of 5 lbs for the month of January.

We're going to Cara's today, to haul her car home. It has an engine that is overheating. The car (named Alphonse) has been teetering on the edge of death for quite some time. We have a new car for her here. Remember that 'new' is a relative term. New in relationship to Alphonse. The problem is that this newer, sharper looking car is a standard, and she's never driven a standard before, and we want to give her a few lessons before we turn her loose in it. We felt that winter was not the time to be learning a new driving skill, so at spring break she'll come home, we'll do the title transfer, and let her master the stick shift.

This trip is not only to get the car. It is a mission of mercy as well. Cara is sick. She thinks she has strep again. She sounds pretty bad. I told her that this is what happens to girls who get their ears gauged. Cara has always had a tendency towards strep. She had her tonsils removed when she was 15 or so because of it. After starting college she ended up with mono. The bad strain. They told her that whenever she was stressed or tired, that she'd probably begin having mono symptoms again. This will last for the rest of her life. Unfortunately, she's a college student, keeps impossible schedules and stresses a great deal over her job. But she's sick again. I've got a pot of broccoli simmering for a pot of broccoli cheese soup. I baked bread on Wednesday, so I've got some good homemade rolls to add. We'll also take down some oranges, just for healthy snacks.

Late Edit: they are pretty sure (pending blood test results) that she has mono yet again.

You know, I'm going to like school. I really am going to like it a lot. Yesterday, in one of my classes, we were dissecting an essay on happiness. One of the young boys in the class, a big tough looking fellow, said that he thinks that sometimes people live in bad situations and simply can't be happy, that sometimes, life purely sucks and there's not a whole lot to be done about that. I offered the counter point of the joy I saw at the cancer support meetings. I said that we can choose to throw tantrums when we face a life challenge, or we can choose to learn the lessons of the time, to find the joy in it, to be happy. It was a brief comment in a swirling miasma of comments. Later, I was in another building to drop off some paperwork at financial aid. As I headed out the door for the parking lot, a voice behind me said, "HEY!" I didn't even realize that the young man was speaking to me, until he fell in step beside me. "I think that you're very inspiring," he said. His friend's mother is dealing with cancer, and his friend is having a hard time being away at college during this uncertain time. He's trying to be helpful to his friend but is also having a hard time, because he cannot find the right words. We talked about that a little, briefly, and then went our separate directions. I walked out into the cold gusting winds and the swirling snow and picked my way to the car, but inside, I was warmed by the contact, by that small interaction.

Today, I've decided not to crack my books. I'm actually ahead of the game. I have an essay due Thursday. I have a quiz that day as well, but I feel like I'm up for it, even now. The books will stay in my back pack. I don't have to work today either. (The job is going well, by the way.) I will get the house cleaned, and a couple loads of laundry, and a pot of soup made for my sick kid. I will spend the evening with my husband. In a way, I feel like a little kid learning to ride a two wheeler. 'Don't stop pedaling.' 'Don't look back.' 'Keep the handlebars straight.' Somewhere along the line, you suddenly realize that there is no one holding on to the bike, that somehow, impossibly, you're doing it, you're flying all by yourself, and the realization is thrilling, and your voice sounds out, shrill with excitement: 'Look at me! Look at me! I'm doing it all by myself.' I know it sounds stupid, but that's how it feels. I am juggling my family, and my job, and school. I didn't know if I could, but I am, and that makes me very glad.

17 comments:

A Novel Woman said...

Happiness is always a conscious decision (so is guilt, for that matter) so knowing this, really knowing it, is quite liberating. One can choose to be happy or not. It's not dependent on stuff, or circumstance or other people.

And you are inspiring!

Lemonade Maker said...

You are very inspiring, Debby. Thank you for sharing your insight!

mrs.spit said...

because my mother has said it to me for years, I'm going to say it to you.

"I told you so"

I told you that you would be fine. . .

corymbia said...

...and you are an inspiration, that's for sure.

Mikey said...

I want to come live with you :) That broccoli soup sounds delish! You're such a caring individual, and I love that interaction with the young man. I love all that you write about!! I'm so glad you're doing what you want and what you love and that life is good :)

Kelly said...

Mmmmm, the soup and bread sound good! Sorry to hear that Cara's sick. Give her plenty of TLC this weekend.

Roxanne said...

Wow I have missed you!! Back to school?? Yay for you:) So glad you're feeling well enough for that. I will be praying for Cara and you that you continue to feel well. Blessings to you!!

BUSH BABE said...

Are you shocked that so many others are echoing the words you hear back here all the time? It's not just us Deb. It's 'real' people too - your mojo is shining, babe.
:-)
BB

Kerry ABOUT ME said...

Yay on the weight loss. I am in the same mode. I've lost 4 lbs so far and still plugging away. Way to go on your progress!! I hope Cara feels better soon. I'll be praying!

Kerry

WhiteStone said...

If you fall down on your bike you'll scab up your knees and elbows. In which case, wash with soap, put on some bandaids and then hasten that soup off to Cara. When you get home again, get right up on that bike.

Your friend from Iowa who always gives good advice.

heh-heh

Anonymous said...

Loved your positive post - as usual. Good to hear of the weight loss - sounds like just the right rate. Actually any loss - except huge - is a good rate! Great also to hear news of your other 'doings'. Knew you'd do well and enjoy your classes. Hope Cara gets well too. Less stress, more rest and better nutrition is my prescription - but doubt she will be able to hear that!
Love and good times Barb

jeanie said...

Finally I am all caught up with the amazing world of the amazing Debby - I am glad you are surrounding yourself with (more) people who can see the wonderful you.

I hope Cara gets well soon - and I am thinking there are a few recipes you might want to give all of us out here salivating - just saying.

Lydia said...

Hope Cara gets better soon -- mono, uhg.

Congrats on the weight loss -- 5 pounds is fantastic! I've lost 3! yea!

I'm really so glad that you are getting your school-legs under you. You are well able!

Bob said...

Yes, you inspire me too. I want to come to Pennsylvania and stay in your guest room (aw it on our previous post) . . . you'll have to vacate for a night or so but surely a visitor from Tennessee would be worth it?!

Debby said...

Oh, Bob. I'd be very disappointed if you were in our neck of the woods and did not come stay in our guest room. Except that I believe that you and Mrs. Bob would be much more comfortable in the other guest room with the double bed. I'm dead serious. You have my e-mail. And that goes for the rest of you too. If even one of you drive by and do not stop, my little feelers will be hurt.

Bob said...

Sure, the other guest room is fine; Heavens, wherever you want to put me is fine. Now I don't want to be presumptuous, but I have read about all the wonderful food you cook and I might just humbly ask for some of that. And I would probably want just a tiny piece of cake but I won't spoil your diet.

If I am ever nearby, don't worry, I'll be out your doorstep.

Paula said...

Hey - things are sounding pretty busy but good!

Congrats on hacking away at what you aptly call Chemo Chub! I am giving it a go too.

Best of luck with juggling the family, school and job ... if you can crack the Big C and all the rubbish that comes along with that ... then you can manage all those!

Paula x