Thursday, January 21, 2010

Friday Weigh In

I'm an emotional eater. I am afraid of that, and so I try very hard to keep on top of my weight. I'm not really a big 'weigher'. Normally, when my pants get tight, well, I start dieting. This year though. Argh. Breast cancer patients normally gain weight during treatment. Not being one to buck convention (heh), I plunked on some weight. You change shape too. Thicker around the middle. Add the job stress on top of that, and then the stress of not finding another full time job, and then what shall we do...well. Basically, I need to lose weight. I want to lose about 30 pounds, which is actually more than I gained, but I was reading that fat cells produce small amounts of estrogen. My cancer had hormone receptors. Since I'd like, very much, to not deal with cancer again, I'm determined to lose this. It's the right time. I'm excited about school. I've got a job again. I won't have a lot of time to sit around and fret about my situation.

Every Friday, I'll post my weight loss. Anybody that wants to lose weight along with me is welcome to do so. We can swap tips, encourage one another, if you like. I've been seriously dieting for two weeks now. Last week I lost one lousy pound. This morning I stepped on the scales to discover that I lost

Late Edit: Gees. Sorry about this. This was actually Friday's post. Friday is the official weigh in day.

PS: NW? Yeah, you notice that I did not post my weight. Not going to either. I'll post how much I lost, but it's not anyone else's business how much I weigh. Sorry about the confusion here, folks.

7 comments:

A Novel Woman said...

that you lost...? Uh, your mind?! Are you crazy? Post your weight on a blog and you want me to join you?


There's no way I'm posting my weight on a public blog, but I'll do everything in my power to encourage you! Go Debby. Yay. Hip hip hooray to carrots!

Mary Paddock said...

I will NOT be posting my weight on a public blog (not yours, not mine--if God had a blog, I would not post it on his--not in a house, not with mouse . . ). But I will be happy to have someone in the trenches with me and will even more happily cheer you on.

I am off to purchase a bathroom scale today. Cover me . . . I'm going in . . .

WhiteStone said...

"fat cells produce small amounts of estrogen"

I didn't know that! Ugh!

I, too, have gained weight after finishing up with chemo. Originally I thought I was just gaining back my old "fat". Now I'm wondering if some of it is not water retention. I look puffy to myself when I view photos of myself. My watches (I have three) are tight on my wrist. So now I'm wondering if fluid retention is an after-effect of this whole past year.

steviewren said...

Debby, you are on a roll girl....talking about making changes...you're going all out. I really need to get serious about weight loss...I'd like to go back to school...and get a new job too...I need to copy you.

BUSH BABE said...

Well I think it's a grand idea... I cannot blame chemo (or is an Ice Break coffee radioactive?) but I sure need to lose about 20kg (about 45 pounds!). Hmmmm....

Seriously considering taking part here.
:-O
BB

Caroline said...

my weight is a secret between me, the bathroom scale, and the treadmill at the gym. During all my treatment, the one thing my husband was not allowed to know was my weight - even if he was standing next to me while I was weighed. I am enjoying the fact that my weight is finally going in the right direction...

BUSH BABE said...

I think Deb is only talking about sharing WEIGHT LOSS totals, not your actual weight... just sayin!
:-)