Friday, January 22, 2010

Cara Celebrates Another Birthday

For Cara's 19th birthday, she got herself a tattoo. She was away at college, and this one slipped right by me. There was no discussion. The girl got a $50 check and the tattoo place had a special deal going, and she had just studied the divine sign of Constantine and...well...the rest is history.

Cara had another birthday yesterday. She got another check from her dad. I got another call. She and a group of friends had their cartilage pierced. By golly, I didn't just fall off the turnip truck yesterday. Cautiously, I said, "Um. What cartilage, exactly?" She snorted. "In my ear. I had my ear gauged." I'm not clear on what this means, but when you hear the words 'industrial barbell' in a conversation about your child's ear, well, I'm thinking that I won't be really excited about this. I also think that for her 21st birthday, her father needs to actually buy a gift for her. Hard to tell what would happen if a birthday check and a few drinks got together.

7 comments:

Caroline said...

Definitely a gift for her birthday....

Anonymous said...

Oh. Sounds ominous. Good luck, and hope your eyes can stay still when you meet! Maybe she just wants to get your reaction???
Just read the results of your mammogram the other day - Yay, great news. This is the first time I've been on for a little while, hence the comment here. Hope it will be the first of many good ones.
PS Also trying to lose a few pounds - or kilos to be politically correct here. I have the ones I gained on treatment, plus a couple more that I think middle age, well, maybe a bit past that, put on for me to keep them company, and they don't want to go. Possibly helped by a salted nut or two. I hope 2010 sees the last of them for us.
Cheers Barb

A Novel Woman said...

Ah, yes, my Youngest got herself one of those barbells too. Can't say I'm a fan (understatement of the year award goes to...) but she's an artist, and this is another form of self-expression. Hey, there are worse things. And she's a good kid, kind, doing well in school, so... The thing you have to watch is that any cartilage piercing is much more prone to infection, and it takes a long, LONG time to heal.

I need orange said...

One of my neices had "money so I can have my tattoo filled in" on her Christmas list.

I, um, well, I didn't contribute to that......

:-)

Kelly said...

NW is right, cartilage does take much longer to heal. Personally, I'm okay with piercings and tattoos as long as they are done properly (meaning not in a back alley, lol).

It's my girls that have gone this route. My son has no desire for either. Then again, my husband has neither (hates tattoos) and I have both.

PaintedPromise said...

pierced ok but gauged {shudder} my youngest keeps trying to do that and i keep making her take it out... now she is 18 and says i can't make her {sigh}

tattoos well i have 5 so ok with that (actually hav eplans for a couple more when i can afford them) lol, especially Cara's it has a story! and she can hide it if need be... as i can with all of mine.

Brianna said...

Don't worry, Mom! I've seen the piercing (I think it's on Cara's Facebook), and it really doesn't look bad. She doesn't have a humongous hole in her ear, it just looks like she has a needle or safety pin going through the top part of her ear. Pretty cool, actually. Thinking of getting it done myself, if I can find someone who can order in naiobium (a special hypoallergenic metal), so I can wear it without it getting infected.

Face it, your kids are all pierced, or tattooed, freaks... but you love us anyways!