Wednesday, December 9, 2009

The Unemployment Agency

Tim's been laid off a half dozen times in our marriage. (Machinist jobs have largely moved overseas). Each time, he's dutifully gone off to the Unemployment Office. Two times, he found jobs that he attempted to apply for, and was told that he was not qualified. He found this hard to believe, since he was a skilled machinist with a quarter century of experience. The jobs are listed with a code, but our Tim is a clever bunny. He'd pinpoint the area, figure out what companies were in the area, and then pinpoint which of those companies had machine shops. He then drove to the companies and dropped off his resume, in person. Two times, he got the jobs that the Unemployment office told him that he was not qualified for.

13 years ago, I walked in there, a newly single mom, back to the area, scared stiff. I needed to find a job, and quick. They were anxious to help me. I was a veteran. I was shuffled back to the special 'Veteran's Counselor', who promptly got me a job as a janitor in a local plastic factory. As if I could not have gotten that job if I had not been a veteran. Sounds awfully ungrateful, doesn't it? But it paid the bills, and it got me through, and I met Tim there, etc. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but each time that I've ever needed that place, I get uninterested staff who pause in reading the newspaper to direct you to the computers.

So when I got the notice that I was expected to show up at the Unemployment Center for counselling, I wasn't expecting much. Actually, I wasn't expecting anything. I was surprised. There is a completely new staff there, and they are up, and moving, and talking, and advising. I found that I am qualified for a couple of programs as a displaced worker. Even educational benefits. I was shuffled off to the veteran's counsellor, and he gave me information on civil service jobs and where to find them. Most of all, I got to talk to other people in the same boat as me. We are all discouraged. We are all looking. None of us are getting callbacks. I'd been taking it personally, and was discouraged. So did everyone else. They were discouraged too. I walked out of there with a new hopeful feeling.

I guess that I've been losing momentum. Today, I feel better. Today, I am hopeful. Today, I got up and I worked out. I filled out applications. I enclosed the new paperwork from the employment agency. I'm waiting for the sleet to stop, and I'll head out again. Maybe I'll get some Christmas shopping done too.

8 comments:

Kerry Osborne www.kerryosborne.blogspot.com said...

I am so glad things are looking better and that you got some real help and advice when you most needed it. I hope you have a wonderful Christmas. Still praying.

Kerry Osborne

Caroline said...

Oh job hunting is the pits. I have been through long periods of it myself. I found the single most important thing I could do while job hunting is to go out and talk to other unemployed people - meet for coffee just to chat, or at the unemployment office, anywhere. I have a friend who was really down in the dumps about her job hunt but now she makes her self go out every day and do something and feels a million times better. Good luck!

WhiteStone said...

You will find the right job at the right time. But, yes, good idea to be pro-active in a job search. Looking forward to hearing "I gotta job!"

Kelly said...

It's nice to know they've improved their services. I trust you will find the right position. God always has a plan.

BUSH BABE said...

It will happen Deb... but in the meantime, how's that book going? Cause you know, when you sell those things, it's possible to actually make money. Some people even do it for a living. Just sayin'...
:-)
BB

jeanie said...

Education and training would be wonderful - but seconding my wise sister above.

Karen said...

Just watch, Debby, you'll probably be offered more than one position and you'll need to decide which one to take! Hope you hear from the agency soon, but until then, enjoy this time!

quid said...

Are you in Pennsylvania? Post zipcode... my company may have operations close to you. And I am an HR manager.


In Florida, we don't use the word "unemployment" any more. We like to fool the people. :) The agency is "Workforce Alliance". The jobsite is "EmployFlorida" and the $275 you can get a week, max is... oh, it's still called "unemployment". Fancy that. They'll change it soon.