Tuesday, December 1, 2009

The Project Takes Off

Wanna hear something that will rock you back on your heels? I called the school to speak to the principal about our Sunday School project, to verify sizes of the children. The principal is a wonderful woman. I know her, and she is committed to 'her kiddos'. Always has been, and I have known her since my own were in elementary school. Much to my surprise, contrary to the reports going around the community about the suspected vandals, these are very good kids, excellent students, all accelerated readers, all on the honor roll. These are extremely good kids who love school. These are very good kids with a very awful mother. The principal said, doubtfully, "I guess you should not say, 'these kids would never...' but I find that hard to believe. They just wouldn't. These are really excellent kids.'

After the principal found out what I was doing, she was quick to share what she thought that they would love. She gave me sizes for them. I told her that I would like to buy them all sneakers, and perhaps even boots, but was not sure how to accomplish that. I'd already been told that the mother could not be trusted with gift certificates. And she said, "Leave that to me. I will give you a call with all three shoe sizes." Bless her heart!

Today, I was at the Walmart to pick up a prescription. Just for the heck of it, I went to price new winter coats. They were having a sale. I got the coats for $7. each! SEVEN DOLLARS! I bought a hot pink winter coat, a lime green winter coat, a silver jacket for the boy, the puffy ones that the kids like so much. I was able to get matching liners for them, so that they can layer them in extremely cold weather. The liners were also $7. each. Each one of them match with the scarves that we bought yesterday. A woman from church thinks her Sunday School class will be donating. This has all begun to take shape so quickly that I'm a bit amazed. We've already got a pretty large stockpile of stuff from our house alone. Already it seems as if this little project will easily outstrip anything I had envisioned. Already, this project seems as if it will become a very big deal.

I'm a little shocked, but I guess that I shouldn't be. I live in that sort of community. It's not perfect, but we take care of each other. And I have to say this, as well: when a project unfolds, perfectly, effortlessly, I really believe that this is God at work.

15 comments:

A Novel Woman said...

I hope you'll write a letter to go with the gifts, something along the lines of I believe in you, even when others don't, I believe.

This act of vandalism probably came from a place of great hurt and anger. Good for you for turning it around. It might make all the difference for these kids.

BUSH BABE said...

God may well be at work Deb. But you are surely the trigger of this wonderful thing. The goodness in you is shining... and yes, I agree with Pam. You should write a little covernote to the kids - you have such a way with words...
:-)
BB

Kelly said...

You really shouldn't be surprised, Debby. It's a God-thing.

I'm glad it's all falling into place so nicely!

Mikey said...

I'm with Kelly, it's a God-thing. He's guiding you where you need to be. I think this will be a wonderful Xmas for that family. It's nice to see community come together.

Mrs. Spit said...

How very wonderful. I'm glad that this is coming together, and that these children will know that they are loved.

Lydia said...

Yea you! Oh and Yea community!!! :}

Reb said...

You are all doing a wonderful thing. I'm betting this will make a life long difference in these children. THIS is the true spirit of Christmas!
Reb

quid said...

Deb... this is just great. You go, girl.

quid

steviewren said...

Have you ever read The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson? If not you will love this moving little book. Your Sunday school kids will love it too. It sounds like you have a real life parallel going on there. My kids and I read it together a couple of times.

Debby said...

Actually, I have read that book, Stevie. We are going to see the play this weekend. Our houseguest has never heard the story. It will be a lot of fun.

That corgi :) said...

of course it is God at work :)

Romans 8:28

Merry Christmas :)

betty

Bob Barbanes said...

Debby, what you're doing is great and all, but PLEASE do not forget to buy something for the mother. It seems like the kids will be getting an extraordinary amount of attention - it may leave the mother angry and bitter if she is not included. And she deserves to be.

And don't forget that as wonderful as this project is, the kids' behaviour will not change overnight...not even over Christmas night. Maybe not ever. You do what you can do, and leave the rest in God's hands, as you know. We can hope and pray for miracles, but we should not expect them. (My mother feels differently, by the way. She fully expects miracles, and often and to my complete amazement, gets them!)

I know money must be tight for you right now. How on earth you can spend money on people you do not know is...nothing short of awe-inspiring. I take my hat off to you.

Debby said...

Bob: Very interesting. I just came to that conclusion myself. I do have gifts for the mother as well.

Bob said...

Just read your last post and this one. Oh my, Debby. A few weeks ago I posted something about a mission weekend I had been on and you commented you had not done mission work. Yes, you have. You are doing it.

The stories I love most about Jesus are how he took time for people that nobody else wanted to take time for -- the outcasts, the ones society had forgotten, the people in the margins. He called them "the least of these."

The body of Christ continues to work.

Debby said...

Bob B. Something I thought of that I wanted to say to you is this one thing...some of the most generous people that I know do not have two nickels to rub together.

It's not about money. At all.

Tim and I are, comparatively speaking, very lucky. We are careful and sensible people.