Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Pilgrim's Progress


I head about this story today, and it just tickled me. I love the idea that a man would work for 10 hours in his front yard building a snowman just to amuse children on schoolbuses, that he's done this same thing for years. It makes me glad to know that I share the planet with souls like that.

Today was a quiet day. I painted woodwork at one of the houses downtown. Painting is relaxing. You work steadily and carefully, and can easily see your progress. Life's not always like that. You work your hinder off, and sometimes it seems as if you're not making progress at all. Or maybe you think you've made great progress, only to find that you haven't progressed nearly as much as you thought you had. I have a job interview tomorrow. It's just a part time job, minimum wage, I'd expect, but you know, I don't even care any more. I need to be doing something, anything, and next week, I take college placement exams. I just need to feel like I'm making some amount of progress here.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

I guess everyone has a different idea of relaxing. My only experiences trying to paint were disasterous!!

Give me a nice jigsaw puzzle...

Saying a prayer for your job interview.

Mrs. Spit said...

I love painting, I think it's exactly the way you described it. Good luck at the interview tomorrow.

BUSH BABE said...

Good luck with the interview... and glad you enjoyed your painting. I find its like cooking: I love doing it, I love the end result, I hate cleaning it up!!!
Hope 2010 dawns shiny and new and filled with promise.
Hugs
BB

Caroline said...

Oh, I hate painting. I only do it because my husband is worse than me with it.

underOvr (aka The U) said...

Hi Debby,

I'll keep positive thoughts of you and your interview today.

All the best to you and yours in the coming year.

U

PaintedPromise said...

aw, it makes me glad that i share a planet with people like that too! and with people like YOU!!!