Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Olmsted Manor

Imagine a place with hidden gardens.
Gates to exquisite grounds.

A tudor mansion high on a hill.

Open to the public for the holidays.
Every room decorated for Christmas. (And yes, that is a Steinway.)
The fireplaces cheerful and welcoming.

Every room decorated, virtually every room with a fireplace.
Little secrets and wonders, everywhere, like a bowling alley in the attic. Both duckpins and regular bowling.

Comfortable beds in nicely appointed rooms, each with a view...

Each bedroom with it own tiled bathroom that had a separate shower and a soaking tub.

Stained glass...
...into banks of heavily leaded glass windows with window seats to sit and daydream from...
With the cutest darn kitchen...

And a sweet little copper sink in the pantry...
********************
Can you imagine being met at the door, and told to wander freely, making sure to open closet doors and to look for secret compartments in the wainscotting in the halls? Oh. Be still my heart!
It was awesome. At the end of it all there were Christmas cookies and punch and coffee to drink while you visited and listened to stories about the house and the people who lived there. It was my idea of a perfect day. I cannot imagine what it would be like to live in such a home, and I cannot imagine being wealthy enough to simply give it to the church. I came away with the material for infinate daydreams. In the summer, I want to go back and walk through the labrinth in the gardens outside.

13 comments:

WhiteStone said...

Oh, My, what a grand house! And it must have been a grand "home" as well as a house. What fun it must be to take a tour and to be able to hear the stories of this home and family. Thanks for sharing the photos!

BUSH BABE said...

What a gorgeous spot... and yes, as WhiteStone said "proud". Is it lived in at all? A bit sad if not...
:-)
BB

BUSH BABE said...

PS I am particularly in love with the attic bowling alley... not sure why. Not much of a bowler but am imagining the noise from above if someone is trying to sleep and another guest decides a midnight game is in order...
:-)

Jayne said...

Love it!
You lucky thing to be able to wander through a gorgeous home like that!
Thanks for sharing the photos :)

Beth said...

Wow, great pics. I would also love to wander through and imagine what it would be like to live there (quite the stove!!). Happy holidays!

Tammy said...

I love old homes... ours is over 100 yrs old. We moved it 30 miles, refurbished it. I love it, but won't ever do it again! LOL!

Please tell us more about this home. What's the history?

Kelly said...

What a fun, fun house!! I love it!

Interesting to have the bowling alley in the attic. There's a house here with one, but it's in the basement.

I feel like I should be trying to figure out who, with what, and in which room.

Bill of Wasilla said...

The memories! The memories!

I spent my early childhood in that very house.

They must have told you so.

Those were happy days!

We would eat ice cream until dawn

and roll across the lawn as frogs hopped over us

Why did we ever move?

jeanie said...

Oh Deb - that is gorgeous!!!

(oh, and if it were a B&B you could charge them for the copy and free ad on your blog...)

Debby said...

Bill - Bwahahahahaha! What wonderful memories. But really, you moved because Alaska called and you could not resist. There were books to write and pictures to take, and you knew what you must do.

The bowling alley in the attic? It takes up half the house. The half over the servants quarters! The other half is storage.

The house was given to the Methodist Church. It is now used as a retreat. Yes. I could actually stay there if I wanted, but it is kind of pricey.

Redlefty said...

Amazing! I'm in this weird place of my career/life where I could easily envision us having the means to own a home like that. And I could also envision us giving up on seeking that kind of thing, and just continuing to live simply in a middle-class or lower lifestyle.

Maybe it's not even an either/or decision and there will be a time for both.

Again, amazing house!

steviewren said...

I always enjoy tours of old homes. I like to dream about the way people lived in them. This one looks like it might have a secret passageway...did you find one? How about a old wardrobe in the attic?

quid said...

How lovely!