Friday, December 4, 2009

Coffee

This morning, I have an appointment to find out the results of the latest scan, which was done the Monday before Thanksgiving. Last year, waiting this long to hear the results of something would have been unbearable. This year? Well. It is what it is. I'll live til I die, just like the rest of you, and so I focused on living, enjoying the holiday, enjoying the kids.

I am glad for my serenity. It comes from many places, I think. In large part, I attribute it to good coffee beans. Nope. Not joking. Tim and I skimp on a great deal. We buy our meat from Bilo's discount meat rack, where five packages of meat is $19.99. Couple that with the venison in the freezer, and that's the backbone of a couple weeks worth of meals. I buy the produce from a discount grocery on the other side of town. I buy whole grain bread from the day old rack, or I make it myself. We eat well, but we eat cheaply. The one thing that I don't skimp on is my coffee beans, though. I buy the good stuff.

I pack Tim's lunch in the morning, and I get him off to work. Then I have a precious hour or so to myself, sitting in the dark, tapping on the computer, writing, sipping good coffee. My dog snores heavily at my side. The keywound clock that no one can stand (aside from myself, who dearly loves the sound of a ticking clock...) ticks from the back bedroom, a spare room, and it chimes every half hour. My thoughts trickle from my fingertips to keys to the bright computer screen. No matter what is going on, by the time I push away from the computer, I am wide awake. My feelings on any given subject are sorted out. I am serene and ready to face the day.

Good coffee beans. Life is too darn short for crappy coffee, my friends.

13 comments:

A Novel Woman said...

"Life's too short for crappy coffee."

Now, THAT'S a tee shirt I'd wear.

WhiteStone said...

"I'll live til I die, just like the rest of you"

Another good tee shirt for cancer patients! I like that viewpoint. Makes for a little less anxiety.

Roland said...

I'm hoisting a cup of good coffee, to you, right now. Cheers.

Mrs. Spit said...

Absolutely. I learned that lesson a few years ago. And now, I buy good and fair trade at Costco. I pay a bit more, but my enjoyment also means a sustainable living for somone else.

Kelly said...

Some things just aren't meant to be skimped on.

Let us know your results!!

The Factory said...

Yes, quality in all things and hang the expense.

Bill of Wasilla said...

I'm just wondering... during the time that you live, are you writing a book? If not, I think you should be...

I will be anxious to learn the results.

quid said...

Gorgeous post. I was there, right in the room with you. You have a gift.

quid

steviewren said...

Since I gave up Diet Coke, I've been wishing I liked coffee. Or tea.

Debby said...

Maybe I should go into the business of creating tee shirts? Who wants to buy 'Life is too short for crappy coffee'? How about 'My prognosis? I'll live til I die, just like you.' Taking orders... :^D

A Novel Woman said...

Me! Me!!

Daria said...

You got that right ... love my coffee.

BUSH BABE said...

Life is too short for crappy coffee - should be the catch-cry of whatever sort you espouse! perhaps you could get a lifetime supply in return for the t-shirts??
:-)
BB