Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Tuesday

Last night, we went to see a performance of Julius Caesar, put on by a professional group of actors. Cara had come home from college to see it with Tim and I. The Library Theater is from 1883, and it has been restored. It was there that I saw my first theater movie, as a child. It was 'Peter Pan', and not only was it the first movie I'd ever seen in a theater, it was the first time that my siblings and I had been dropped off in downtown Warren (pop. maybe 25,000), on our own in the big city. Heady stuff for a kid living on a dirt road out in the middle of nowhere.

Cara recited Roman history as we waited for the play to begin, and really, it was all very interesting to me. She loves her major, and can really hold forth. When the play began, I had trouble hearing at first, my hearing damaged by years of listening to loud rock and roll, no doubt. But my ears adjusted, and then I struggled with the words themselves. Gradually, even that smoothed out as slowly as the lessons from Mr. Miller's eighth grade classroom came to mind. My mind swung easily from the theater I sat in to a classroom I once sat in, with a wooden desk and blackboards that were black not green, big wooden unscreened windows that flung open and were propped open with sticks kept there for that purpose, stray breezes sending our papers flying and rattling the big green shades on rollers. A stray thought occurs...does anyone else remembers the smell of freshly copied papers still warm from the xerox machine?

It was a pleasant evening. I visited easily with the people present, but my mind roamed freely to other places, and to other times, and to other faces.

This morning, Cara and I had coffee and watched 'World' and 'To the Contrary' while folding her laundry and then she got in her little car and headed back off to college with her clean clothes, and the 1935 college textbook 'Ancient History' that I discovered at an estate sale.

Mondays, no matter how monday-ish, are almost always followed by Tuesdays.

*sigh of relief*

6 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

What a great day!

Kelly said...

Sounds like a lovely time. My college-age daughter is majoring in history, too (and also in psychology). Mine prefers US history, but enjoyes it all.

Bush Babe said...

What a lovely moment back in time... I remember the purple copies made on that roller-drum copy set-up... with a very distinctive smell. And the old pencil sharpeners that were bolted to the table with a big winding handle...
:-)
BB

Bill of Wasilla said...

A nice posted moment between two frustrating ones.

Caroline said...

the mimeograph machine - who inhaled before taking their test?

Lori said...

What a nice day! I do remember that smell.