Sunday, November 29, 2009

Traditions

Tomorrow morning is the first day of buck season. I don't hunt, but I have an important role to play. I whipped up a batch of cinnamon rolls, and they will be tucked into pockets of hunting jackets, along with baggies of cheese curds and salami and chocolate bars. I have the last of the turkey in the crockpot. I'm making a pot of turkey soup with wild rice for tomorrow, so that no matter when the weary and cold hunters return, they will have hot soup simmering, waiting to be ladled into a bowl, and served with homemade bread to dip.

Tim has never missed an opening day since he was 12, and I think that it is dear that forty years later, he will lay awake in the night, just as excited about all of this as he was when he was a kid. Dylan is staying home to hunt for the first time in 2 years, and Trevor is hunting for the first time in many years. The day has been spent getting the hunting clothing out and ready to go, spotting deer, and the retelling of hunting stories.

This is our family. These are our traditions. I think it's kind of cool.

11 comments:

Nanny Goats In Panties said...

I have no idea what this hunting thing is all about, but I can appreciate your traditions and the excitement and fun behind it.

WhiteStone said...

We have deer hunters in the family, too. Deer fill their freezers and they seldom buy meat.

WhiteStone said...

And every other member of the family begs them for deer jerky. Keeps the man of that house busy filling the dehydrator.

Bill of Wasilla said...

Happy hunting! If you jerk some of that meat, send me a sample (I jokes - but I bet it would be delicious!)

jeanie said...

V just read over my shoulder and got all excited about your cheese curds - apparently his Mum's family in Wisconsin used to provide such treats.

Debby said...

I thought that V was a California boy. And there are no cheese curds in Australia?!!!! Yeah. I'm not sure that I could live in a country with no cheese curds. Poor V. Someday when I come to Australia, I'll bring along several pkgs. of Heluvagood Cheese Curds on dry ice for V.

Debby said...

Jeanie, they squeak when you bite into them.

BUSH BABE said...

It's a tradition of which I know nothing at all... kinda fascinating though. Is it a one-day thing or an ongoing campaign with long-term strategy involved?
:-)
BB

Kelly said...

I love cheese, but I don't think I've ever had cheese curds. Saw them in a store when I visited WI last winter. Guess I should have bought some.

We do a little deer hunting in our house, but my husband prefers to duck hunt. The last time I hunted (deer) was a couple of years ago when I got a new gun for Christmas. Our granddaughter killed her first this year. A spike.

No one ever made me any cinnamon rolls to take hunting. : (

Lori said...

It is cool! My husband is the same way. He still gets so excited that he can hardly sleep the night before.

PaintedPromise said...

Men! i have to laugh and shake my head... but i am also happy that you have those traditions, what wonderful memories they make!!!