Saturday, November 28, 2009

Serendipity

Yeah, so Tim and I have been going to a lot of estate sales lately. That's the kind of folks we are. At one of them, there were a couple boxes of classical music CDs, all of it recorded in Vienna or Berlin or London or the like. Rich folks boggle my mind. These boxes of CDs were all mostly pretty much unopened. How to you justify spending money on a collection like that, and then not even listen to it? Well, I like Vivaldi, and I like some Mozart, and I knew that the kids' grandfather was coming and he is a huge fan of all classical music. I also knew that he was coming up on a hard anniversary, and thought these would be a welcome distraction, so I sorted through the boxes selecting my choices at 50 cents a pop. Surprisingly in the middle of all of this, I found Bruce Springsteen. Not new. I guess the old folks rocked, too. I can't call myself a fan of 'Broooooooooooooooooce'. He's kind of repetitive, sometimes, but he's got some good stuff, and at 50 cents, hey, I decided to go for it. Today, I'm got the urge to listen to some music, and pulled out Bruce, opened the case, popped it in, and guess what? The sound of Bob Seger and the Silver Bullet Band flooded the room. Man, I am grinning. I may be equivocable about Bruce, but I do love Bob Seger. That is just the most excellent mistake ever!

9 comments:

BUSH BABE said...

Life...you NEVER know what you're gonna find!
That is amazing...
:-)
BB

jeanie said...

That is definitely a cool mistake!!!

So what else did you REALLY score?

Kelly said...

Considering I do like Bob Seger and never much cared for Bruce, a GOOD mistake!!

Would have been interested in some of the classical, too...

Bill of Wasilla said...

What you need is Bob Seger and Bruce Springsteen singing together, accompanied by a little Magic Flute.

Laura Jane said...

LOOOOOOOOVE me some Bob Seger!

I had a 6 month affair in my late teens with a lot of Bob Seger in the soundtrack.

Mmmm, memories

Rhubarb Whine said...

I love yard sales. (We call them garage sales here). Some people get rid of the coolest things!.

Debby said...

Bill!!! Was that an HR Puffenstuff reference? Ha! Now, Rhu, let me explain. Here we use yard sale and garage sale interchangeably. It is when people pull out some of their stuff and mark it for sale. An estate sale is usually when someone dies, and the next generation is trying to hoe through their stuff. In desperation they just put price tags on everything, and you're basically just roaming through a furnished home looking. I never miss a chance to hit an estate sale. I love the chance to go through an old home that I've daydreamed about from the outside (I love old homes).

steviewren said...

Debby, I love estate sales for the same reasons. I've got to make more time for them in my future. Enjoy listening to your surprise CD!

PaintedPromise said...

aaaahhhhhhhhhh Bob Seger :)