Monday, November 16, 2009

Poor Beast

Today, I stopped in to pick up a few groceries, and carrying the bag across the parking lot, I caught glimpse of movement out of the corner of my eye. On the bank behind the store, a deer moved slowly across the leafless hillside. I watched him moving in and out of the trees. The way that he held his head lead me to believe that it was a buck. It wasn't long before he had moved close enough for me to see that this was true. He had a lovely rack, and was at least an eight point, maybe even a 10 point, but he was limping badly. I saw that his rear leg was broken and it swung out awkwardly, as he stepped. He only had one antler...the other appeared to be broken off. This is the 'rut', and the bucks are after the does. They run alone, and once they are on the trail of a doe, they are wild and careless. I imagine this beast, driven by lust, had bolted in front of a car and got himself hit.

You know, I have never shot an animal in my life. I am not a hunter. Luckily, I don't have to be, because Tim is quite good at it, and we usually have at least a couple venison in the freezer every fall. I have to say though, watching this poor creature lurching and limping along, I wished for a gun. If I had one, I would have shot the beast myself.

Because I am a sap, there were tears.

11 comments:

Wendy said...

Oh poor thing - I'm hoping someone will put it out of its' misery - it's horrible to see any animal suffer.
This morning we are all upset here - a carpet snake somehow got in and snacked on our lovely little bantam hen and 2 of her 8 chickens. Yes, there were tears here too - I could only imagine her trying to defend her babies. Life is tough in the animal kingdom sometimes.....

Caroline said...

That is just horrible the miserable life it has. Someone should take care of it. Very sad.

WhiteStone said...

If tears make you a sap, we're all in a fine mess!

I once hit a deer...it jumped up out of the ditch right in front of my car and the best I could do was slam on my brakes. I was only doing 35 mph in a residential area but that was too fast for what followed. The doe took out my grill and a headlamp. She got up from the ground and limped up the hill as fast as she could get away from me. I felt so badly for I knew she would suffer horribly and probably die from the hit.

Bob said...

I am also not a hunter but what you have written just supports the fact that we must control the deer population. I live in a suburban area and they are all over the place here. They are beautiful, graceful animals but there are just way too many of them.

PETA, et al nothwithstanding, our hunters do us a great service.

Mikey said...

I've seen that same thing before, gruesome and making me wish I had a gun on me SO bad. Then gone before you can do anything. Man, it sucks to see that. I hope a hunter gets him soon and puts him out of his misery.

A Novel Woman said...

There was a story in the paper today about one of our border guards being under investigation because he used his firearm to kill an injured moose he came across on the highway. It was deemed justifiable. Thank goodness. Poor old buck....my heart breaks just to think of it.

BUSH BABE said...

Oh Lord - nothing is more kind than putting an animal out of its misery. And nothing is harder to actually do. I could do it if I had to - thank goodness someone else is around when the need has arisen... so far.

Kelly said...

I didn't become a hunter until I married. I still hunt some, but have gotten much more "soft-hearted" in my old age. But... as Bob said, populations must be controlled or the deaths they meet can be much worse than a clean shot from a bow or gun.

I hope he didn't have to suffer long.

Debby said...

PETA doesn't make sense. I saw, once, Bob Barker doing an interview. I will never forget his words. He said that hunters did not have to control animal populations, that these numbers would be controlled naturally. He's right. The animals will die of starvation and disease. I don't see that as a kinder and gentler way to kick off, personally. My brother in law tells the story of a hard winter, when the deer died off of starvation in a remote field at the church camp where he worked. We eat what we kill. Nothing goes to waste. Tim very seldom has to use more than one shot to bring down an animal. It is not a job for saps, I guess, but before we are judged on our inhumanity, allow me to point out that animals are killed to provide the beef, chicken, pork, etc. that you buy in the grocery. Your salmon filet once swam. We are not less humane simply because Tim kills our meat with his own hand.

Lori said...

I so agree with your comment above, and I love how you expressed this. We, too, eat what we kill or we don't kill it. We stock not only our own freezer but usually help stock freezers of our family and friends. We learned how to take down what we're hunting with the least shots required and we are good enough shots to usually take them down quickly and as humanely as possible.

quid said...

Love venison. Couldn't shoot one. My uncles used to take me with them for partridge and make me carry the dead birds home. Not much of a hunting fan, after that.

quid