Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Nice Day

I headed into town to have coffee with Brianna. She suggested a new coffee as I went up to order. I started to say, "You know, I'm a vanilla cappuccino kind of gal" but then I stopped. It's been a week of discovery about myself. I looked at her and said, "You know what? I'm going to try a new coffee." I did. It was good.

I returned a couple DVDs to the video store.

I also returned a stack of books that had been loaned to me last fall. I sat with a cup of tea, and talked some more. There is nothing nicer than good conversation and hearty laughter.

I came home, unloaded (and stacked) a truck load of firewood. The sweater I'd pulled on proved to be too heavy, so I shucked it, working in my shirtsleeves. I was sweaty by the time that I was done. Mighty peculiar weather we are having for November.

I finished putting away some things from the back deck, and then ambled in and whipped up a batch of pizza dough. I have the best recipe. 4 3/4 c. flour, 3 tsp. yeast, 1 tbls. rosemary olive oil and two cups of warm water. I mix the whole thing up with the Kitchenaid mixer while I put everything away and wash the dishes, then turn around, dump the dough on a floured surface and knead a little more flour in until it's how I like it, divide it in half and put half in a zip lock bag in the freezer for another day, and roll the other out. Slap in in a pan, let raise, bake and then top and finish baking. It's a great supper and quick.

After supper, I talked to one highly caffeinated daughter who was writing a paper she was stressing over, heading on a coffee date ("Who's Jim? What do you mean that it is not your first date? Oh, and I suggest decaf.") Then I curled up on the couch with a good book while Tim puttered on the computer.

It was a nice day, a quiet night, jampacked with pleasant things. Earlier, I had been talking to my aunt about how different I felt. That I couldn't explain really, but I just felt alive and good and free and unselfconscious. I said, "You know, I bought a couple bottles on wine, and it just occurred to me that you should always have a bottle of wine in the house. You just never know when you are going to have a reason to celebrate." And we laughed together. But I was right. Tonight, Mary called. She had a suspicious PET scan a couple weeks back. She had gone to Pittsburgh for a second opinion. I'd been thinking of her all day. Mary had good news from the doctors there. I had a glass of red wine and celebrated with my friend.

7 comments:

rhubarbwhine said...

I am not a coffee drinker myself, so it amazes me that people don't see/feel the caffiene jangle in themselves.

So happy for Mary. You too. x

BUSH BABE said...

Ah HAH! Justication for the carton of wine I just took delivery of... in case all my friends need to celebrate at once!

So wonderful to hear you revelling in YOU. Makes me smile.
:-)
BB

Caroline said...

oh, I'm going to try your pie crust recipe! Sounds easy! But I love getting back to a normal life after the cancer roller coaster stormed in. Enjoy!

WhiteStone said...

I love going out for coffee or lunch with my daughter...she's always pointing out new and good things! Yay, Brianna! And totally YAY for Mary's results. BTW, I thought you cut back on your wood consumption. What's with the wood hauling!

Kelly said...

Sounds like a nice, productive day. So what new flavor coffee did you try? I'm a hot tea drinker, unless I'm out of town and can get a Starbucks (where I usually get the same thing every time).

I'm happy for your friend, Mary.

Roxanne said...

What a uplifting post Debby. Anytime we get to spend time with our kids is a blessings. So happy for Mary. Enjoy that glass of wine:)

Lori said...

I'm so glad your friend had good news! And what a wonderful, happy day you had!!