Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Merry Pre-Christmas

Yesterday, Cara left to head back to college right after our cappucino and bagel. The house seemed empty. Well. It was. Just me and the dog. I went out to rake leaves. There are tons of them, and they seemed to all drop at once. I have raked six truck loads of leaves from the front yard, but still huge amounts of leaves remain. In the brisk wind, I raked and I loaded, and kept an eye on the dog who was looking for an opportunity to escape my watchful eye and have himself another good roll.

Suddenly, out of nowhere, a wind picked up, and began to spin, like a miniature tornado. Leaves whirled and spun clear up to the sky, taller than the house, and this funnel of leaves danced across the yard. I thought of Clement Moore. 'As dry leaves before the wild hurricane fly, when they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky...' I finished raking seeing how much of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas' that I could remember by heart.

Christmas started creeping in to my consciousness well before Halloween. I was surprised to walk into the local Lowe's and find their Christmas trees display just a few feet from their animatronic lifesize Halloween figures. Red eyes and maniacal laughter and twinkling pre-lit Christmas trees, some musical and playing 'Silent Night'. Call me old fashioned, but really, those two images kind of clash in my mind. It becomes kind of jarring. And it's not just Lowes. I bought Christmas cards the first week of October. Yes. I realize the irony of it...purchasing the cards simply feeds the preholiday frenzy.

Today, the incomparable Rhubarb has a poem on her website.


Already?!

You better watch out, you better not cry,
You better not pout I’m telling you why:
The Christmas hype will take you right down.
Look at the calendar, go on check it twice
You know you are right
it’s the date not your eyesight’s the first week in November, right now.
Westfield are quite sneaky, they get you by surprise
they have up all their strings and things to make you spend and buy – Oh!
Oh, you better watch out!
You better not cry.
Get your credit card out I’m telling you why:
Santa Claus is coming to town.
Yeah you better watch out,
don’t think you’re immune,
Another few minutes you’ll be humming this tune
The economy boost is coming to town.
Shelves are stocked with tinsel, I know it’s early too
Next year I hear the Santa hype well begin somewhere in June.
Oh, you better watch out! I think I might cry,
I am sure we just had the Easter Bunny hop by
How can Santa Claus be coming to town?
Marketers are quite sneaky, subliminal messages you can’t see
ads and banners and discounts and things that make you think ‘buy me!’ - Oh!
Oh, you better watch out! You better not cry.Get your credit card out I’m telling you why:
Santa Claus is coming to town.
Santa Claus is coming to town

I tried to sing this to myself, and I remember part of the tune, but not all of it. I betcha that will change in just a few weeks.

Merry pre-Christmas...

2 comments:

Bush Babe said...

I know, isn't she a classic!! Unfortunately I can remember all this tune... and it is thoroughly stuck in my head!
Gah!!
:-)
BB

Lori said...

That was funny. Here they had H'week stuff out before Labor Day. And by Sunday Christmas was in all the big stores. It's way too early!