Friday, November 6, 2009

Major Praying

Sometimes we forget about the story behind the headlines. We do not have TV, so I follow the news about Ft. Hood online. I read an article about Major Malik Nidal Hasan. Turns out that he is still alive, although he was shot in the fracas. The immediate question is: 'What sort of a mind can justify this?' and I have been reading news reports for the answer to that question.

I had not thought of it, but the man had a family. His parents are dead, but when the media contacted his brother and told them what he was accused of, that brother fainted. His family (aunts, uncles, cousins, brothers) is trying to distance themselves from his actions, trying to make it clear that they are loyal Americans, and I find myself feeling really sorry for them. How horrible that must be for them. I'm sure that as Muslims, they must have already been dealing with some amount of hostility from stereotyping bigots. And now, one of their own stands accused of the most heinous crime ever to occur on a military base. They are caught in the white hot glare of the media spotlight. The suspicious eyes of a nation fix upon them. They did not bring this attention on themselves, and they will not be able to make it go away. I imagine the terrified eyes of a deer in the headlights, and I find myself praying for these people, the victims behind the headlines, just as I am praying for the victims of the shooting. Because I am a poor Christian, I cannot yet bring myself to pray for the Major.

7 comments:

Bush Babe said...

God. It just gets worse. I never claim to be a good Christian (I am a very laid-back version) and I hope with all my heart that people realise the family are innocent and that the Major is very likely not of sound mind.

We all need to pray that the madness stops.

Kelly said...

Yes, it's a very delicate situation, isn't it?!

Bill of Wasilla said...

Yes - I was struck by the same family aspect of it. And, while it in no way justifies what he did, I was also struck by the fact that the killer had been tormented by his fellow servicemen for being a muslim. Who knows what pushed him over the edge?

But now he must answer for this horrible crime, because you do not kill people just because some of them have ridiculed you.

Lori said...

Very thoughtful post. I hadn't thought yet of his family. You are quite right. They will have a hard time for a while, and I do feel bad for them. I hope people do not judge them for what this man has done, but I know there are many people out there who will.

Lydia said...

Thanks for the reminder, Debbie. I have been hearing news reports of this terrible event, and I have to admit, I have been so busy I have not prayed at all. So who's the poor Christian now? *raises hand timidly from the back row*

I hate that this has happened because those who stir up biggotry in this country will use this to increase rage and anger against the innocent.

PaintedPromise said...

very sad all around. and wow the internet has made this SUCH a small world... i actually know someone through a forum who lost a nephew in this incident... and i know someone else on that same forum whose friend's son was there and NOT HURT...

PaintedPromise said...

and going one post earlier (backwards, catching up) i find threw Mikey that i actually know someone in person - Wade - who has a brother there. and it didn't compute that Stacey was there either until i saw that...