Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Madder than a Wet Hen

Okay. I have been on the phone for forty five minutes. I have gotten no where.
NO WHERE!

I have been turned over to a debt collector by a wireless phone company which shall remain nameless, except to say that their name begins with a V and rhymes with 'horizon'. For $15.52. The most astonishing thing about this is that not only have I never received a bill from them, the fact is, I don't have a wireless account. I don't have a cell phone!!!!!!!! Tim and I share a pre-paid track phone which we buy a phone card for, but we don't use a cell enough to warrant going whole hog, living in an area where reception is an issue. The name on this account is listed as my own, and the fact is, I have never had an account with them. Neither has Tim. Has to be an error. An error that I am playing hell trying to get corrected. After forty five minutes, four phone calls, waiting on hold for an interminable amount of time, what I discovered is that the people that I need to speak with are gone for the day. I need to call back tomorrow. I explained that since this is undoubtedly a mistake, I think they need to call me. They won't.

Holy cow. It takes quite a bit to get me good and fired up, but by george, I'm seeing

red

right this stinking minute. I've never been turned over to a collection agency in my life.


*grumble, fume, rant*

12 comments:

Bill of Wasilla said...

What dirty little ducks they are! Do not capitulate in any way to them. I think, perhaps, they are breaking the law by harassing you, a non-customer, and could be legally liable for damages themselves.

Also, I would not overlook the possibility that someone might be trying to scam you. I would not give them any information that they do not already have and I would tell them that this is all very suspicious and that I was going to report them to legal authorities.

WhiteStone said...

Amen to Bill. I would not use the phone number on the collection agency paper... I would look up the outfit online for a legit number. Ditto V. Check online for a customer service number.

Bush Babe said...

If you have signed nothing, they have nothing. S'all I'm sayin'.
*sends calming vibes*
BB

Mary Paddock said...

If you don't mind me asking, what's the name of the collections agency?

Debby said...

The name of the collection agency is I.C. Systems, Inc. Why?

Debby said...

Correction. I.C. System, Inc. No plural.

Mary Paddock said...

ICS is apparently known for this. They are a legitimate collections agency, but very badly run. They buy up "junk debts" (considered too small to collect on or uncollectable by the original company) and try to collect on them. They apparently get their information wrong regularly. Your only recourse is to send them a letter registered mail and demand that they stop calling you. By law they have to do so (do a search for how to format the letter). It seems like I remember dealing with them a few years ago over a $20.00 magazine subscription I'd cancelled and then been billed for.even though the magazines had stopped coming. They did eventually give up and it never showed up on my credit record.

Mary Paddock said...

PS. I was wrong--ICS does not buy debts, they are a third party collection agency. The rest of what I said, stands, especially the letter.

A Novel Woman said...

Happened to me once. I told them it was their mistake and to sort it out and if they kept calling me, my next call would be to my lawyer.

All this for $15 and change? Sheesh.

traceelements said...

Grrr! I've had a similar experience actually, only the debt collection agency were ringing me. Over supposedly owing money on a credit card, with a bank we happen to have a joint account with. Long story, but I only rang the bank once (and we established that they had the wrong person with the same name), but the debt collection agency kept ringing (and I kept hanging up on them!) Last time they called I really exploded, and haven't heard from them again.

Do you really think this mob are going to take you to court over $15? I suppose I don't understand the legal system there, but, having tried to contact the company once, surely you shouldn't have to do anything else now.

Mikey said...

Check your credit records ASAP as someone may have stolen your i.d. somehow. You'd be AMAZED at what people can do these days.

Daria said...

Sheesh who needs that grief....