Monday, November 9, 2009

Charmed Life

You know what? Nice things have been happening to me lately.

Fer instance: I found a pair of shoes in the basement. I forgot about them entirely. They are a pair of brown suede scuffs with the gores on the side. They are very comfortable, like wearing slippers. I must have put them on to run outside and bring in a load of firewood, shucked them in the basement, and promptly forgot about them. I love those shoes. Don't ask me how a person forgets about her comfy shoes, but lo, they are now found, and my life is good.

And know what else happened today? I got my hair cut.

*waits expectantly*

What's up with you guys? This is my first real hair cut post chemo. I had too much hair. It was getting tufty and unruly. I GOT MY HAIR CUT!!!! And it is a nice cut. I like it. I feel stylish. I walked out of there feeling like a million dollars. Even better, I saw Laura from church. I grabbed her arm and whispered, "Laura! I just got my first hair cut." And she looked at me and said, "That's your real hair?!!!" Gaping, I said, "Well, yeah..." and she said, "Oh my gosh...all this time I thought you were still wearing your wig." Yeah. I was grinning.

And then I got home and know what else? There was a letter from the PA Treasury. The letter states that they have some money from 2003 that belongs to me. Certain that it was a big mistake, I called the toll free number, and was soon speaking to a nice lady. It's not a mistake. She's sending me the claim paperwork.

There was also another letter. From Verizon Wireless. It didn't take them 4 - 6 weeks to send me written verification that my non-existant cell phone account had been corrected after all. I was nearly speechless. It only took a week. I don't believe that I've ever had the opportunity to say 'Verizon' and 'efficient service' in the same sentence before. And it only took two days and three hours on the phone this time. Dang.

I'm leading a charmed life.

18 comments:

Bill of Wasilla said...

Congratulations on growing a head of tuffy and unruly hair! I foresee a series of such haircuts extending far into the future.

WhiteStone said...

Shoes! I did the same. Only mine had dried mud on the bottom and I had to soak and scrub with a toothbrush. Clean now.

Hair cut! Well, that's exciting news alright, but the least you could have done was sent a pic. You do have my email addy, right?

PA Treasury. I check IA now and then but they haven't discovered any money for me yet. (Frown)

And Verizon. Well, that figures. They read your blog, right? Next thing you know, they'll be putting an ad in the side column. And pay for it, too! Good things come in fives, right?

Ooops. Number 5 is me. Having a good friend like me.

heh-heh

Mrs. Spit said...

Debby:

This is the best news I've had all day, and the thought of you getting a hair cut will make me smile for the rest of the night, thanks so much for posting this!

Ash said...

OMG :) I was listening to music while reading your blog and this is the song my player chose to play now :)

Feelin' so good- J Lo
When I opened up my eyes today
Felt the sun shining on my face
It became so clear to me that everything is going my way
I feel like there's no limit to what I can see
Got rid of fears that were holding me
My endless possibilities
Has the whole world opened for me
That's why I'm feeling...

I'm feeling so good
I knew I would
Been taking care of myself
Like I should
'Cause not one thing
Can bring me down
Nothing in this world gonna turn me round...

Now the day is turning into night
And everything is still going right
There's no way you can stop me this time
Or break this spirit of mine
Like the stars above I'm gonna shine
Anything I want will be mine
Tonight I'm gonna have a good time
Call a few friends of mine
'Cause I'm loving life
And tonight's for feeling...

I'm feeling so good
I knew I would
Been taking care of myself
Like I should
'Cause not one thing
Can bring me down
Nothing in this world gonna turn me round...

Scotty said...

Glad to hear you're having a good run, Debby, especially getting money back from a Gov Dept - does it feel like you've won a lottery?

:-)

Paula said...

Hey ... I was pretty impressed about find the shoes ... cos you you know how much I like shoes ... but the haircut now that is something to celebrate!! Sadly, I think it is going to be some time before my prickles need cutting!

Now go and do the lottery!! ;)

BUSH BABE said...

Oh happy day!!
Haircut - sounds like a photo opp to me - Cara where are you??
Nothing else in the mail for you?
:-)
BB

Sara Williams said...

Enjoy your good luck!

As for hair cuts! I cannot wait until I can go for my first tidy up. It is such a BIG thing when you have lost your hair, like my buying hairspray yesterday. Normal to most but I havent had to buy styling products for so long.

Oh happy days!

Mikey said...

Love it! Got your first haircut! I'm so happy for you :) Sounds like the good times are rolling. Now go buy a Powerball ticket, quick!!

RedWifey said...

Niiiiiicccceee!

Redlefty said...

Business studies have proven that the best way to get loyal customers is to screw them over once (JUST once) and then save the day heroically. Those customers are always more loyal and more profitable than those you serve well with no mistakes.

I'd guess that Verizon is so large that they have to start screwing over NON-customers once, then save them, hoping to turn them into customers. Interesting growth strategy.

And congrats on the haircut!

Debby said...

Thanks everyone!

Redlefty, Verizon has already screwed up, not only with me, but virtually every customer I know. Their customer service is last to none other. Truly.

Kelly said...

What a wonderful Monday you had!!

Debby said...

Thinking on it, I said it wrong. Verizon's customer service is last to all others. Yep. That makes more sense.

PaintedPromise said...

i am so happy for your haircut!!!!! and the found money and shoes, wow. i think you SHOULD go buy a lottery ticket lol

steviewren said...

First Betsy over at My Five Men and now you....wait a minute while I get in that perfect day line. I wanna be next!

Congrats on all the good stuff...it's about time it happened for you.

Anonymous said...

Yeah on haircut!! I bet that felt fantastic!! I love the money coming unexpectedly. I've had that happen before too. Pretty cool conicidence I'd say. Enjoy them all and God bless!

Kerry Osborne

Daria said...

What a great day!