Monday, October 12, 2009

Time Travel

I am not sure why, but Tim likes to look at what's come up for sale. This home is in Bradford, and we stopped by to take a look at it. It's beautiful, but in desperate need of someone to care for it. Much to our surprise, as we walked across the damaged stone patio with the wrought iron awning framework, down the spiraled stone walk way, we noticed at the back of the ivy covered home that the door was open. Completely unlocked. Not broken into. Just left wide open. We were a little astonished by this, because this is really a beautiful home, four bathrooms with the original circa 1920 fixtures. I seriously have never seen such exquisite toilets, which seems like an odd thing to go on about, doesn't it? But really they were remarkable. Clawfoot tubs, pedestal tubs, the sinks were great china pedestal sinks. At least two of the bathrooms had recessed vanities, with tiny drawers and fancy mirrors set up. Elaborate wallpapering, even a large painting leaning against the wall.




I love old houses and I could have wandered around all day. I imagined the house in its 'hey day', when all of that elegance was new. When the paint was new, and the wallpaper was new. When the circular entranceway welcomed you inside the beautiful and massive wood door. Once inside the chandelier would cast prisms of light around the walls, small rainbows of bright color splashed everywhere, the spiral stair case framing the whole scene.

I imagined parties there, and exquisitely dressed women holding court in the bathrooms peering in the mirrors of those elegant vanities, reapplying makeup while smoking their cigarettes back in the day before cigarettes caused cancer (Joke, people...that was a gentle joke at the ignorance of the time...). I imagined the music, a fire in the fireplace, and how the hardwood floors would have gleamed. I wandered upstairs to the bedrooms, big and spacious, and then again up to the third floor where I am assuming the nursery was. I imagined the house with period furnishings. I imagined the original family. It was a wonderful home, and I know that we should not actually have been inside, and really, Tim seemed anxious that we should not linger, so I cut my daydreaming short, and headed back downstairs, out through the cluttered and junky kitchen, no appliances, a stash of unmarked jugs in the corner, an old record album lying in front of a window.

When we were probably 10 miles down the road, I was still daydreaming about the darling little arched doors that went under the stairs. The unexpected little twists and turns of that house. It really was a little house you could get lost in, and I was having a fine time daydreaming about what I would do with all of those rooms.

Tim interrupted my reverie. "Those jugs in the corner of the kitchen? Do you think someone is brewing 'meth' there?" I stared at him slackjawed. Heck. It had not even occurred to me. When I'm wandering around in another time period, it is always a shock to be slapped back into the present.

12 comments:

sherry ♥ lee said...

Well there you go..you aren't cynical for one thing. And you were lost in the reverie of "what was" and just loving the bones of a house. And there was your husband, not necessarily cynical, just being alpha-male in his "what do I see" vs. "what does a woman see" and with the open door, a vacant house...he's probably right!! Which is extremely sad...what a sorry use for a beautiful house!!!

WhiteStone said...

Tim's remark was my exact instant thought when I read that there were several unmarked jugs. Yep, my thought exactly. Course, I tend to be a bit paranoid and suspicious and cynical and tend to jump to the first logical conclusion.

But, oh, my, the house! That's the kind of house I sometimes dream (sleep dreams) about, finding little cubby holes and funny doors and cool stuff. Those kind of dreams feed my "gimme" nature. lol

Kelly said...

I was so caught up in your reverie I didn't give those jugs a second thought, but.... yeah, I'm sure Tim's right.

btw, what was the record album? I would have had to look.

Lesley said...

What street is that house on?? It looks familiar but I can't place where it's at.. LOL (chemo brain is kickin in!! LOL man that works good as an excuse for EVERYTHING!!! haha)

Debby said...

i tried to see. It was an old LP in a white sleeve. it was a black label with silver trim and letters. I did not have my reading glasses on and was being rushed out the door. I guess that I should thank my lucky stars that Tim has a head on his shoulders. Mine head is always amongst the clouds.

Leslie: It is on Congress.

I also reported this to the police, after talking about it. The conversation went something like: 'Okay...we're going to feel guilty if we don't say something, and we're going to feel like paranoid freaks when we do, so here's the facts, and you all can decide what to do with it.

Debby said...

My head. Ack.

Anonymous said...

My first thought on the jugs was moonshine. (of course I live in Tn and we are known for moonshine....although we've been in the news for meth alot too lately!) :0

My husband and I found a house like this from the early 1800's when we were first married. It had a staircase like one in Gone With the Wind, a tea parlor that my favorite children's author (Frances Hodgson Burnett) had been in and the works. Of course what snapped us back to reality was the cost it would have taken to fix it up. The walls literally leaned and there were cracks in the foundations. We still dream about it though. Sign...Maybe someday. Keep your dreams alive! You never know when they might come true! Lots of love,

Anonymous said...

The post above about TN was me. Forgot to sign off!

Kerry Osborne :)

Bill said...

I think those jugs were full of rootbeer.

I have no proof, it's just a theory.

Must be fun to find such old houses and go roaming about in them.

steviewren said...

I'm glad no one came back while you guys were there. I would have no clue either because I would be wandering around dreaming about how I would renovate and decorate the place.

jeanie said...

I would never have notices the jugs.

But then, I would never have walked into the house because I am a wuss.

PaintedPromise said...

i'm with Kelly...