Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Television

Redlefty and Redwifey were curious about our lack of television reception. Allow me to explain. We live far enough out that cable is not available in our area. There is always the option of satellite TV, but really, we don't watch enough TV to warrant the expense. Our children firmly believe that this lack during their growing up years constituted child abuse.

*meh*

What can I say? It sucked to be them.

When the great switchover to digital was announced, we were pretty excited. Our reception has always been kind of poor. Tim every so often climbed around the roof yelping, "Can you see it now?" and "How about now?" and "Well, is that better or worse?" etc. He's getting kind of old for that and really, it never seemed to help all that much, so we welcomed the digital television thing, with all of its promises of better picture quality and more stations.

We bought our digital converter box, and we waited with bated breath. The great day dawned, and (TA DA!) we lost television reception all together. I guess that's a lie. We get the Public Broadcasting stations. Three of them. After the initial shock, we kind of discovered that (surprise!) living without television all together? Not that big a loss. We like the 'Antique Roadshow' on PBS, and Tim likes 'This Old House'. We like 'The Last of the Summer Wine' when we can find it, and 'As Time Goes by'. We can watch the news every night. We're actually pretty good with that.

We could have stood there screaming, "It's a PLOT! The government wants us all to be ignorant of what is going on, so they stopped the media from pouring the unvarnished truth right into our living rooms. The satellite communications companies are in on the whole thing, and expect to force us all to pay for satellite receivers. It's a plot I tell you, and I won't take it lying down. By gosh, this is the apocalypse and it's happening right here before our eyes. Get your weapons. Stock up on ammo! The end is near! 2012 is right around the corner!"

Really. We could have done that.

But we decided, really, if we have a craving to watch more than the PBS line-up, we can always rent a video.

12 comments:

WhiteStone said...

Dang! You beat me to the "2012" post.

Dr. Swill said...

Hello Debby!

I wanted to let you know about an interesting cancer blog a group of cancer patients have been working on.

A fellow tongue cancer patient was sent home to die. There was nothing more that can be done. Cancer survivors ask him life altering questions.

Please read: Dead Man Talking http://beyondtheglassdoor.blogspot.com

Peace B

Caroline said...

And you can get most news and tv content on line. I wouldn't mind a TV less house sometimes. I think we spend entirely too much time watching it.

PS Did you know there are people who pay to go on vacation where they are disconnected with the outside world?

Heather said...

I'm proudly TVless by choice. People think I'm crazy. We rent tv series we want to see on Netflix or we watch them online. With the exception of some football games there is nothing I miss. I can't see myself ever readily agreeing to get cable service again.

Redlefty said...

We're in the same boat as you, we just happen to be closer to the free digital signal towers. We're still using a $40 antenna we bought six years ago and haven't paid for cable in all that time. Like Heather, we get videos through Netflix and that's plenty.

Me and ESPN are a bad combination.

jeanie said...

I have always loved the times when I didn't have a television. It takes over your life.

Bill of Wasilla said...

Well, you've got the internet. The whole world, right there at your literal fingertips.

Kind of hard to relax with your husband to eat popcorn, though. The net is not good for this.

PaintedPromise said...

we had no TV reception for just over 7 years. our youngest came for visitation one day with a cool gadget for his dad... you guessed it, something to make the TV work. I HATE IT!!!!!!! i would give anything to go back to the TV-less days...

i try hard not to watch. i do! but my darling husband turns it on and it's like a black hole sucking me in. i used to go outside to get away from it, but now that it's dark so early, going outside doesn't accomplish anything...

Kelly said...

I don't really watch much TV at this point in my life. I've always said I could live without it. My husband can't, though. So, we have satellite TV.

Too far in the sticks for cable or DSL, we also have satellite internet which, not as fast as cable or DSL, is better than dial-up. Still, it isn't fast enough to watch entire TV shows online. In fact, I have trouble with youtube clips that are too long. That might be due to my ancient laptop rather than my connection, though. (time for a new laptop!!)

What kind of internet connection do you use?

Debby said...

We actually have DSL, believe it or not. That miracle is about two years old. We could get television reception through that, as well. I forgot about that one. The package for internet, phone, and television is pretty pricey. Being the frugal college parents, we have the phone and internet package.

Kelly said...

I don't blame you for skipping the TV. You already know you don't have to have it and can really get most of what you need via the internet.

Bob said...

I could skip the TV too and often wish we had had the intestinal fortitute to do it as we were raising our family. Kind of role reversal of the typical scenario with me -- Wife likes it a lot more than I do. And with two boys who are sports fanatics, well, it's hopeless. One time as a joke I told Younger Son I was going to a lesser cable package that did not include ESPN. He was not amused. So it's part of the budget and I just grin and bear it. But I like your way of thinking.