Monday, October 26, 2009

Oprah

I am not pretending that I've read all the books from Oprah's Book Club. Heck. I probably have read very few of them. Without fail, though, every single book I've read winds up being this long saga of humanity's inhumanity to (wo)man, sad and tragic books that actually are difficult for me to read. I just finished "The House of Sand and Fog". I stopped reading it for a time because it grieved me so. The ending was awful, and it made me cry buckets. I realize that sometimes life is grossly unfair. I realize that life is sometimes difficult and people sometimes are monstrous, but I do find myself wondering if Oprah ever reads happy books? Does she ever read anything just for grins and chuckles? Cripes.

6 comments:

Bill said...

Well, she's going to have Sarah Palin on her show, so I assume she has read her book - probably for grins and chuckles.

WhiteStone said...

Sarah Palin on Oprah! Oh, My!

Bob said...

I could have told you about House of Sand and Fog, one of the most depressing books I have ever read in my life! Didn't even know it was one of Oprah's. You know it was done as a movie with Ben Kingsley. Don't know how it did but I wasn't about to do that to myself -- once was enough.

Anonymous said...

I must admit that I'm not an Oprah fan. But she has some great books on her book club list.
DavidM.

Mary Paddock said...

I typically refuse to read anything that winds up on the Oprah list (for the same reason I refuse to read best sellers simply because they're best sellers). Just me being obstinate.

However, I did read "The Bluest Eye" by Toni Morrison (and liked it--not a sad ending), "She's come undone" by Wally Lamb (kind of gritty, but it had a happy ending), "The Poisonwood Bible" by Barbara Kingsolver (really hated it--depressing book, reminded me of "How Green was my Valley"--yuck), The Story of Edgar Sawtelle By David Wroblewski (loved it, though it did have a sad ending) without knowing any of them were on her list. (And of course there was all that Faulkner written before Oprah even existed).

PaintedPromise said...

oh Debby have you read The Shack??????? i finally got to recently and WOW... i can't wait to read it again but i have to be patient, Randy has it... and hes the first one to say, i can read 4 chapters while he reads one...