Friday, October 16, 2009

Oh No!

This is what we woke up to. This is my lilac bush. It is probably about 15 feet tall, and a real thing of beauty in the spring with both purple and white lilacs. I love my lilac bush. Tim wanted to trim it. I told him to leave my lilac bush alone. He argued that it was too big. I refused to budge on it. I got a little stern about it.

Our power went out sometime after 2 AM. The four inches of snow was wet and heavy. Because it was an early snow, the leaves were not off the trees yet. The leaves caught and held the snow, which weighed heavy, snapping branches, and bringing down trees, across roads, on power lines. It was a flipping mess.

We're having a party this weekend for Stacey's homecoming. She is home from Korea and headed to Ft. Bliss in a few days. Dylan and Cara will be here in a few hours. Brianna and Michael will be here also. I cannot remember the last time that we had all five kids in the house at the same time. (Yes, BB, I will take pictures). Anyhow, I had a hundred and one things to do this morning. Instead, I packed Tim's lunch by lamp light. No water. Limited hot water heat from our boiler. Not much I could do around the house. Couldn't even make a coffee. *grumble*
I had promised to help a friend out, so I headed off the hill.

This is what it looked like down in the valley.

People thought I was nuts when I told them what was going on up in Scandia.


We got more than a dusting.

Power came on sometime late this afternoon. I got back from Mary's and set to work on this house. My shoulder feels much better. I've got the bedrooms opened and ready for kids to come home. I got the bathroom put back together (we painted). Laundry done. Even got the silver polished. Amazing amount of work. Last week, I seriously could not have done this. My shoulder feels tons better. I even loaded a truckload of firewood, by myself. I'm blessed. Truly.
*sniffle!*
Except for the whole lilac thing.
*moan*

Tim's in his glory because he wanted to cut it back. I wouldn't let him. This wouldn't have happened if I'd let him cut it back.
Of course, he's absolutely right.
Don't tell him I said that.

12 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

Are the branches bent or broken? How broken? Completely off? If not, you can probably salvage it. Send me an email and I will do some looking. (I have a 60 year old lilac in my backyard that I baby along)

Mikey said...

I hope it's salvageable!! That would be a tragic!!
Carroll Farm just posted that it was 106 here today. Throw a snowball this way, would ya?

Bill said...

I think that lilac bush can recover. I certainly hope so.

Caroline said...

If it was my lilac, I would leave it alone for now. Then when the snow melts off it, I might tie it up for the rest of the winter so the branches are in more of an upright position through the snowy months.

I am fighting a similar fight with my dogwood tree. Its slowly dying and I am trying to salvage it and enjoy whats left of it for a few more years and my husband wants to chop it down.

Bush Babe said...

Forget the lilac... you got the laundry done? ALL the laundry?
:-)
BB

Debby said...

Well. no, BB. I got a load of colors done. Today, I'll do a load of whites. By then Cara will be home, and I'll be up to my armpits in ramen noodle stained clothing, from what she says. Like I told you, my laundry has never been done. I can only hope to keep up. Now that you have rubbed my nose in it, do you feel better?

:^D

lydia said...

LOL

I don't know how anyone gets all the laundry done -- I live alone and I STILL can't get it ALL done.

Sorry to see your lilac bush!!! Oh my, I would be pretty upset. I am sure it will come back, but it may not be 15 feet tall any more... :{

Anonymous said...

So glad you are feeling well enough to do all this to get ready for the party. My son is military and when he comes home it is so wonderful, he will be here the end of the year after being gone for over 3 years.

WhiteStone said...

The lilac will survive. As will your relationship with Tim. (I'm giggling...I've been there with the "stern" admonishment to hubby, only to be later proven I should have listened to him. )heh-heh

Kelly said...

I'm glad you got the laundry issue cleared up with BB. I was going to ask the exact same question.

I hope the lilac will be okay. I can't even fathom snow in October. Heck, I can't even imagine it in November!! I feel kinda guilty now with the blue sky photo I posted today.

jeanie said...

Oh no, I feel like I jinxed you or something with my fluffy snow comment last time around.

I do hope Lilac survives - and wow, all the kids in one spot will be awesome!!

Daria said...

Those are some pictures ... we had similar here in Edmonton but with warmer temperatures ... the snow disappeared today.