Monday, October 19, 2009

Obligatory Breast Cancer Awareness Post

Okay. In honor of Breast Cancer Awareness month, I've been asked to 'lend my voice' here and there and all over. I've been very willing to do that. I think it's important that we all share our stories, that we all encourage each other, so I've been doing a lot of that, although I've said precious little about it here on my blog. I've been thinking about it though.

Here is my obligatory Breast Cancer Awareness Month post. I also apologize in advance.

Make your appointment for a mammogram today. Do not delay. I did not have my first mammogram until I found a lump. I was under the misguided idea that I would instinctively 'know' if something was wrong in my body. I was a ass.

Secondly, (and this is where I get snotty), if you are one of those women out there who complain endlessly about the agony of mammograms, how horrible they are, etc. etc. etc., really, you need to shut up! (Don't bother sending those little 'comical' emails out either.) That kind of talk dissuades women from having a test that, while it is uncomfortable, it has a beginning, and it has an end, and, really, the two points are not that far apart. It's endurable. YOU'LL SURVIVE IT, for pity's sake! Which is more than some people can say about breast cancer. I'd also like to say that a mammogram is far less painful (and takes up a lot less time) than being sliced and diced, chemo'd, and radiated. (although Ida has explained, repeatedly, that these are not burns, they are reactions ~ which feel a lot like a really bad sunburn, look a lot like a really bad sunburn, peel like a really bad sunburn. I say tomato, she says tomahto.)

We all need to step up to the plate and take responsibility for our own health.

Thus endeth my sermon for Breast Cancer Awareness Month.

I have now stepped off my militant soapbox. We will return to the regularly scheduled chaos that you have become so used to.

10 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

Yes!~

Roland said...

My mom went through breast cancer a few years ago, and a normal mammogram found nothing. She had a feeling, and paid out of pocket for some other type that was thought to be unnecessary. Turns out that it found a lump! God bless her gut feeling and ability and willingness to pay that extra money. I have her still (and so far she seems fine, too!).

Karen said...

Amen to your post, Debby! I've known more than a handful of women who are in their 40's and have never had a mammogram. Take it from someone who used to think: "they are a waste of time for me. I don't have any risk factors." If you are a woman, that's all the 'risk factor' you need.

Kelly said...

Got my baseline at an early age (30 something? can't remember) and have been diligent with annual mammos the past 5-10 years (can't remember that figure, either!). Had to go back for several followup procedures (fancier mammos & sonograms) on a few occasions.

Thanks for the reminder, Debby. It's getting about that time of year to schedule mine.

Roxanne said...

Well said!! Hope you are doing well, my friend:)

Bush Babe said...

Yes Ma'am!!! Had my first mammogram two years ago and survived it. And I am a big girl with lots to squash. You put it well... be responsible!!!
:-)
BB

Debby said...

I don't imagine that your mom would let you slide on that one, BB. Roland is right: mammograms may not be foolproof, but not having them done is just plain foolish.

Be alert. The world needs more lerts.

Anonymous said...

Preach it sister! I'm with you. Complaints about mammograms will definately fall on deaf ears with me. Do those monthly checks too ladies. I had a friend who had a mammogram in April that showed nothing and had a 4 cm tumor a month later. Thanks.

Kerry Osborne

Daria said...

So true ... I'm with you on that.

PaintedPromise said...

mammogram time is the one time i am happy that nursing three children made my boobs soft and flabby. i have to wear BOTH an underwire AND a 1-size-too-small sports bra when i ride my horse BUT my mammogram was really not uncomfortable!

i know, i know... TMI!!!!!