Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Love

Mary posted about her son's first 'falling in love', a touching tribute to her boy. It made me smile. Today I had lunch with an 83 year old woman and her daughter. Carol is waiting the results of her PET scan. She has already had lung cancer. We talked about cancer, and Carol looked at me and said, with great emotion, "It doesn't matter what is going on, when I get into bed at night with my husband, I feel safe, and like everything is okay." And her eyes got teary.

There's an elderly man who visits his wife in a nursing home. She has Alzheimer's. Although she doesn't know it's her anniversary, or what an anniversary is, or remember that she's ever had one, he does. And he celebrates it with her. He knows it's their anniversary. He knows what an anniversary is, and he remembers all the other anniversaries they've ever had. He gives her a card that reads "The first kiss is special" and on the inside it read, "So are the next million." She may not remember him, but he remembers her, and loves her still.



There are many chapters in our own books of love. First love, old love, the opening chapters (which set the tone for all the chapters to follow), the hard chapters, the learning chapters, the coming togethers, the falling aparts, the raised voices, the whispers in the dark, the laughter, and the tears. Our stories probably have no value to anyone but ourselves, but we write our own stories, and we hug the books close to our chest. They are precious to us.

8 comments:

Lydia said...

Thanks for sharing this -- I got pretty misty with this post. I am moved by loyal love it is more rare than I would care to believe.

WhiteStone said...

Sweet post. Love is precious.

Karen said...

Very moving! Makes you stop and think a bit. As Whitestone said, 'love is precious.' Very, very precious...

Kelly said...

I'll third that statement: Love is precious!

Cassie said...

Debby I have been reading your blog for sometime know and even though I don't know you I feel like I know you.
I got a tattoo yesterday and while I was sitting in the chair, I was thinking of you.
Pop on over to my blog and see it. http://cassiekiestler.blogspot.com/
and thanks for sharing parts of your life with me :o)

A Novel Woman said...

Mwah, mwah, mwah! That's three kisses blown to you from Montreal.

Here's my post, way back on April 1st 2008, on loving my little boy who is now 21. He is now all grown up and has a love of his own.

http://anovelwoman.blogspot.com/2008/04/before-men-become-men-they-are-their.html

steviewren said...

You articulate how I feel. Thanks.

Debby said...

Oh, Cassie...you kids and your tattoos! Thank you for reading along. It's been a long strange trip, but I've met so many nice people along the way.