Thursday, October 1, 2009

Happy Story

Sometimes, it just seems like there is an awful lot of bad news in the world. I enjoy this blog. It is quiet and peaceable blog. It reads like windchimes sound. This story made me particularly happy. I've been back to look at the pictures several times. I like looking at that old dog's face, the transformation from the first picture to the last.

You know, I found a dog once. I chased him down with a bucket of food. I sat down on the ground, a few feet from the bucket and I talked on and on as the dog watched me warily. Finally hunger brought him in. I blabbed on as he ate. Finally, he stopped eating. He studied me closely. He came up to me and I continued to talk as we stared each other in the eye. I can tell you the exact moment that dog made the decision to trust me. He buried his head in my shoulder and made a strange whistling whimper. And when, I stood up and said, "Let's go home," he came along with no hesitation. On the drive home, I named him Buck. I have him still.

8 comments:

Bush Babe said...

Awwww... I love it when you share your love for Buck. There is just SOMETHING about dog people... and it's to do with that trust-need thing.
:-)
BB

WhiteStone said...

I have a more sad dog story. And to protect the innocent, I will not blog it. But I loved that poor dog.

Kelly said...

Great stories, both yours and the one on the blog. But then, you know from reading my blog how much of a dog person I am.

I'm glad you shared this.

jeanie said...

Buck was meant to be Debby's dog, I think.

Debby said...

Jeanie: everyone believes that Buck was meant to be my dog, save one. That would be Tim, the non-dog person in my life. The two of them have been regarding each other with suspicion for 6 years now.

PaintedPromise said...

wow that was awesome... thanks for sharing! i have had very odd "bad" luck when it comes to stray dogs. i have seen many and tried to help them but they always run away. i left my running vehicle one morning on the side of the road, purse on the front seat etc... trying to catch a tiny little dog that was IN THE ROAD... several others stopped too but it successfully avoided all of us for almost a quarter mile! at least it ran away from the road. i finally had to get back, got to thinking, what if someone steals my car?????

Mikey said...

Thanks for posting that blog, I really like it. I'm fascinated by all things Alaska, and have actually been looking for their blogs, so thanks!! It's a good one! (like yours :)

Bill said...

Thank you, Debby!

I have made a link from my blog to yours.