Thursday, October 15, 2009

Good News and Bad News

Today I got good news, and I got bad news. We'll talk about the bad news first.
Can you see it? Can you see what I'm talking about here?
How about this? A little bit easier to tell?







Yep. We got our first snow today. I looked out the window this morning, and greeted the day with a grumble. We don't have our snow tires on yet. We both have studded tires which cannot be put on your cars before October 15th. (Tim's out there putting mine on right this minute.)
************
The good news? I saw the orthopedic doctor today. To be perfectly honest, I did not expect much to come out of it. Nobody else has seen anything, and after a while you just feel like a big ol' hypochondriac. But he breezes in the room, and looks at the X-rays, and immediately points. "Here's your problem." I squint. "See this little hook on your shoulder? A lot of people have that. Not uncommon. However, holding your arms above your head for radiation caused that tiny little hook to rub on the tendon in your shoulder. Once that tendon is inflamed, it causes quite a bit of pain." Me, smiling sweetly, thinking, "...and you ain't just whistling Dixie, doc." One shot in the shoulder. "Does that hurt?" he kept asking. Answer: the shot is nothing compared to the shoulder pain. He'll see me in 7 to 10 days, expects the shoulder pain to be gone. Could it be just that simple? The Omega-3 and the glucosamine-chondroitin have ratcheted the joint aches down to a bearable level. If the shoulder issue is resolved on top that, I am well and truly blessed. I will count my many blessings, and I will not complain about the snow. Much.

18 comments:

Caroline said...

Oh, if it could be that simple to cure your pain! Wouldn't that be great? on the snow thing, I'm not ready either. And I can't shovel.

lydia said...

I think you got the snow we had over here in South Dakota at the end of last week. I think we only had 2 months of summer here. unbelievable.

As far as your shoulder, wooooo! and Hoooo! I had a VERY MILD case of tendinitis in my ankle and it was very painful -- I can only imagine how bad it has been for you. YIKES! Glad to hear that you are on the mend!

Daria said...

Hopefully it will be that simple.

We've had snow for a few days already but warmer weather starting tomorrow.

WhiteStone said...

And don't sleep with your arms over your head...that too, will aggravate the shoulders and give you bursitis. Did that once. Hated giving it up because I really, really liked sleeping like that, but I broke the habit for the sake of wellness. Glad things are going better for ya. I noticed your snow on the weather station this morning...I thought to myself, Debby is getting snow!

Roland said...

Hooked acromion!

http://www.bicyclespecialtiesonline.com/Acromion.JPG

jeanie said...

Wow - that sounds wonderful - mind you, for me it would be good news and good news because snow just doesn't happen unless you travel a long way a pay a lot for it here.

RedWifey said...

It was 90+ degrees here in Htown today. We're waiting for the "cool front" to come...we'll believe it when we feel it!

Yeah and double yeah on the orthopedic doctor visit!!

God is good!!

Bill said...

Your bad news is truly, truly, bad!

Snow?

Before us?

(well, we've had some, but mixed with rain and it didn't stick at all).

What the hell is this world coming to? How can I bear the humiliation?

I am so embarassed.

And your good news...

Truly, truly, good.

This comes from one who has borne an inordinate amount of shoulder pain over the past 16 months - but pain due to shattered bones is a small burden compared to battling cancer.

But I am optimistic for you.

rhubarbwhine said...

I do hope it is truly that simple, how much weight has been lifted from your shoulders - do you feel lighter? Hugs from us.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Good news about your shoulder. Snow in CT also, bad snow, bad snow... Julie

A Novel Woman said...

Haven't had snow yet here in Montreal, but it's cold enough for snow.

As for the shoulder, I get it. I had a frozen shoulder two years ago and it still bothers me when I type for too long, or if I do a lot of manual labour or any work that involves stretching above my head like painting.

It was bothering me last night after a day of cleaning out the garage, and I thought of you and all you do (painting, gardening, etc.) which made me wonder if it isn't the cancer treatment so much as the amount of physical work you do that's contributing to the problem. Mine was helped by gentle stretches and physio, ice packs and Aleve. Apparently "frozen shoulder" strikes women "of a certain age" at random, but I will say, it hurts like a son of a gun (and you're talking to a woman who delivered an 11+ pound baby without so much as an aspirin, so I KNOW pain.) The pain, compounded by no sleep, was unbearable at times.

I hope this treatment works!

Kelly said...

I also hope that it's that simple to get rid of your pain!

Snow? We get it so seldom around here it's a novelty. Now ice is a different story....

Redlefty said...

Hooked acromion would be really good news! Most people can relieve the vast majority of pain with exercise and stretching. Others may need surgery but after that pain is greatly diminished.

This means it isn't a life sentence of throbbing shoulder for you! I"m so glad.

steviewren said...

Yahoo..no more pain! Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!

I thought of you this morning when I saw the report of early snow in Penn.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful to get the answer to your shoulder pain anyway and hope the injection works and works for you.
Can't share anyone's enthisiasm for snow I am afraid, even though we are having very dry bushfire conditions here just now - not where we are thank goodness, but drove past some last night. Very impressive and eerily beautiful in the dark!
Enjoy your family reunion, sounds great - and no nore blackouts! Love Barb

Anonymous said...

Whoops - enTHUSiasm. Oh dear, I won't live that down now! Barb

PaintedPromise said...

oh Debby here's praying it IS that simple!!!!!

PaintedPromise said...

and very thankful that snow is NOT here!!!!