Thursday, October 8, 2009

Getting Out

Today, I headed out...
...with my pile of packages, and my 'to-do' list, and my library books. I had things to do. First I stopped off at the post office. I like to use our little post office. There's hardly ever a line, and if there is, you generally know the folks, so you can blab while you wait. I'm a talker. You may not have noticed. Anyways, the post mistress here is Becky, the daughter of the couple that hold down the other end of 'our' pew at church.
Stopped by church to pick up my dish from cookies I had dropped off for a funeral. Also I needed to see the lovely and talented Karen. Sure enough, she had the address I needed. She also lent me a book. A couple Sundays ago, she stopped by with flowers. Karen is a genuinely nice person who is always pulling crap like that. Honestly. I love Karen. Oh, and our church is nearly 160 years old.


This is the entrance to the small town I live up the hill from. In case you can't read it, the sign notes that the township was established in 1795.


Right across the road from that is this old house. It is called 'The Locusts' and it is from the early 1800s. It is also for sale, in case anyone is interested. If you buy this house, I will visit you every day, because I covet this house, and secretly want it for my own, although I know this will never happen, and really, I'm happy enough where I'm at.

This is the library. I remember reading these quotations over and over again as a kid. Quotations about history, literature, and...crap. I've forgotten the third quotation on the front. I guess I shouldn't have relied on childhood memories.


At the side is a quote about biographies: 'The story of lives that counted in their times for love or hate, for misery and woe, for well being and joy.' Except for the whole 'lives that counted in their times', it sounds a lot like blogs. And what does it mean to 'have a life that counts'? Whoa. Getting deep. I'll ponder that another day, because I don't have my boots on today. Yep. Library books were overdue and I owed them 40 cents. I think of it as funding.
This is where the magic of newspapers happens, at least in our small town.


Lest you think it was all glitz and glamor.


You know, I kind of 'get' BB and her camera. When you have a camera on hand, you begin looking for pretty things around you, and they are always, always there. You forget to look sometimes. A camera reminds you. Unless the batteries die before you get home. (And they did.)

12 comments:

WhiteStone said...

Took my camera long yesterday to the apple orchard. Took photos of woolly bear caterpillars. Of all things. lol

Bush Babe said...

I am SOOOOOOO excited to really SEE your town. I love it. I also covet the house you covet - but imaging cleaning that sucker! However when I win Lotto I will consider investing...

I will be coming back to this post to soak in a little more of your world...
:-)
BB

Mrs. Spit said...

Wow, those are great photo's. Thanks for letting me in your life!

PaintedPromise said...

funny, sometimes i do this in my own yard...

enjoyed the visit to your town Deb!!!

jeanie said...

I think I love your town - it is so old and beautiful - and thank you for taking us along!

Bill said...

I have decided to come down and buy that house, because I want to go shopping at that Walmart. I hope they have a good tropical fish section. Then I will stop by the library and admire the stone.

We do not have stone libraries around here.

Pretty soon, I will get lonesome for Alaska and I will leave. Then you can have the house.

How about that? Will that work? I got my Alaska Permanent Fund dividend today - $1305. That should be enough, shouldn't it?

Debby said...

If tropical fish are supposed to swim upside down and nibble affectionately on each other, then, yes, Walmart has a good tropical fish selection, Bill. When I buy dog food, I have to tell you I scuttle by quickly, averting my eyes.

WhiteStone: next step? Taking the camera along on a walk. You don't notice wooly caterpillars from the car so much.

BB - if you buy that house, I will come clean it, daily, for free. That's how bad I'd like to roam around the inside of that house. I do not have such a desire to roam around the inside of my own house, unfortunately.

Painted Promise - It really made me feel loads better to take a good look around. I live in a pretty place.

Mrs. Spit, glad to have you. You don't take up a lot of room in the car.

Debby said...

Jeanie either, even though she's fruitful and multiplying.

Kelly said...

I enjoyed this little peek into your world!! The church is beautiful and I love your library!!

I use to carry my camera with me all the time, but never seemed to remember to pull it out to take pictures! Kinda defeats the purpose!

Daria said...

Thanks for taking us along ... what a nice idea.

Love that old house.

Lesley said...

HEY!!!! I recognize most of those locations!!! LOL I guess it's cause I grew up either going thru that town or going shopping in that town... no matter what... we were in that town atleast once a month if not more!!! hahaha It is an interesting little 'town'. Especially the triangle-shaped bank!! hahaha You'll definitely have to post a picture of that for everyone to see. Anyhow... I will hopefully "SEE" you tomorrow!!! :) *Hugs* Debby!!

steviewren said...

Debby, I love the hometown tour! Your fall is much more colorful than ours at this point...but you are much further north too. You live in a cozy little town. I like it.