Friday, October 23, 2009

Amazing find

Tim and I went out tonight, just the two of us and had a quiet supper. We stopped by the Goodwill on the way home. I wanted to look at china.
Look what we found.

It is a baby crib, believe it or not. An antique baby crib. It stands only 27 inches high. It is three feet long. This is how they did it in the olden days. It has the original slats, and it is pegged together with wooden pegs. These pegs are not machined, which means that this could easily be from the mid 19th century, but solid and sturdy still. I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw it. Hardly breathing, I checked the price. It was $3.99. They did not have a clue what they had.

It's in my house now, and I've not a clue what I'm going to do with such a thing, but I have been researching this all night long, and daydreaming of the generations of children that slept in this tiny bed, now long gone from this earth. What is the story of this bed? Where did it come from? What hands made it?

*Sigh*

I love old stuff.

I also wish that this little crib could talk.

9 comments:

Bush Babe said...

Gads... if only Jeanie were closer!! I wonder if it FOUND you for a reason? Curiouser and curiouser...
:-)
BB

Caroline said...

I could easily see it fitting into a corner somewhere, filled with some extra quilts for those chilly winter evenings...

Mikey said...

That's gorgeous! What a find!!!

Debby said...

NO! NO! BB, for heaven's sake...NO! It did not 'find' me for a reason. But I did think of Jeanie right away, and wish she lived right around the corner. It's been painted, though, and we'd have to be worrying about the old paint and lead issues. But we could remove the paint and start over again.

I'm still a little amazed.

Laura Jane said...

It would have found its way to my house in exactly the same fashion, in a heartbeat.

Quilts...good idea. Did the universe send it to you for a baby?

And...will you strip it? - it could be lead painted..... Its just divine.

Daria said...

Very cute ... I hope you have fun with it.

Kelly said...

What a find! Bet it would be gorgeous with a natural finish. What kind of wood??

I'd be wondering about its past, too.

quid said...

This is beautiful!

quid

PaintedPromise said...

great find Deb! reminds me that my mom tried to get the "child bed" that she slept in as a little girl in Germany, from my grandfather's attic, when my daughter was little. it would have cost $700 to ship it from Europe and my dad said no. it's long been sold and i still regret that i didn't have the money to do it myself...