Tuesday, September 1, 2009

When Life Hands You Lemons...

Today, Tim and I worked on a house. We taped off a room, and then I went back down to paint the woodwork after I got him off to work. I spent the afternoon in the quiet of a 150 year old house, feeling the ghostly sighs of generations long gone, painting, daydreaming about the changes the house has witnessed in its years along the Conewango Creek. It was a pleasant way to spend the afternoon.

I played in the dirt too. I planted 8 mums, 4 asters, some iris that my sister gave me, a fuscia, a butterfly bush, and the two boxwoods that I got at the beginning of the month.

It was nice to work hard on my own projects for a change. It was pleasant to contemplate in silence. The big question today was this: 'Will the day ever come when I have time to plant at the same time that I can afford to buy plants without feeling guilty about it?' I'm really pondering that. I bought 17 plants at Lowe's. 6 of them were not for here, so I don't have to feel badly about that. The other 11...well...yeah...I probably shouldn't have bought them. I would have been bad if I'd paid the full price of $75, but since there was a sale, and I only spent $18.79, well, I'm not really bad but only sort of bad.

I need to stay out of Lowe's Garden Shop. I'm unemployed. I wonder if there is a 12 step program for people like me?

Anyways, that's what I did today.

7 comments:

Mrs. Spit said...

There is not a 12 step program for people like us. . . We are increasing the carbon sink in north america. We are doing a good thing. We do not need help. It's all those other, unreasonable people that need help.

Caroline said...

there is not a 12 step program for plant addicted unemployed people with a history of cancer. I have been home hide plants from my husband and plant them before he comes home so he doesn't see what i spent money on. But then I usually buy them on sale and tell him what I spent and then he gives me a hard time...

Debby said...

Maybe I'll begin my own 12 step program for unemployed plant addicted cancer survivor people. Surely I can't be the only one. Hello? Helllloooooooooooooo?!!!!

steviewren said...

My daughter went to the Bent and Dent store today. I stopped by her house after work to see her bargains and to pick up the ones she got for me as well.

Don't think of them as bargains anymore, but blessings instead. That way you won't feel as guilty.

Bush Babe said...

Do retired/plant addicted cancer survivor people count? I'll just grab mum!!!
:-)

WhiteStone said...

The key is to move to a smaller place...like our tiny city lot. We've moving outward...last year we planted a maple tree on the property next door. With their permission, of course.

rhubarbwhine said...

My mum too, BB.