Thursday, September 10, 2009

The Secret

Stephanie, another breast cancer blogger, was invited to attend Lance Armstrong's Global Cancer Summit in Dublin, Ireland as a member of the press. She was impressive, no pun intended. She sent me two bracelets from the summit, one for me, one for Mary. Thank you.

Our pastor came this morning, and we talked about how one person's story touches another, and that story then touches another and on it goes spinning into eternity, and that really, all that is needed is for us to understand that our stories are God-given, and meant to be used for the good of us all. Last Sunday, Mr. B cried hard to hear that I had cancer again, and I tried to soothe him there in the center aisle. I turned to see Mrs. L, newly widowed, weeping in a pew. "You are so brave," she said. (I'm not, not really.) But I looked at her and pulled her close. "Oh, Mrs. L," I said. "I've watched your poise and grace during your own hard time. I have learned from you." And that is the truth of it, really. We learn, we share, we love each other. Jesus called us to be in community, and this is why. It was a nice visit with the pastor this morning. Another chance to connect.

I'm sitting here just a little bemused today. I'm headed off across the reservoir to meet Lesley, a breast cancer fighter, as I take care of some business. I hold this little package from England. I had an IM visit with Roxanne, another cancer fighter in Florida yesterday afternoon. I've been reassured by people in Australia, and in Canada, and goodness knows where. I've got good friends in Arizona I've never met. I think of all the blogs that I've read, and been blessed by, and am humbled to hear that others consider themselves blessed by mine. My family. My friends. My church. Cancer has connected me to life in a way that has not happened before. I've always been a pretty independent soul, but now, I realize that I am a stone dropped into a pool. My ripples reach out and meet with the ripple of other people, other stones, for we are all dropped into the same pool. I feel blessed to know this secret, and I hug it to me.

Tomorrow is my bone scan. I probably won't be posting.

14 comments:

WhiteStone said...

I consider cancer a good part of my life. I know there are those who might look at that and think I am crazy. But it is. I like your analogy of the stone, pool, ripples. I like that. Will be thinking of you tomorrow as you get your scan.

Kelly said...

I loved your analogy about the stones and the pool.

I'll be thinking about you and praying. I sure hope things look good.

(((hugs)))

Bush Babe said...

Oh your ripples are reaching Far and Wide, my friend...

I will be thinking of you all day.

BB

A Novel Woman said...

You may not post, but we'll be thinking of you.

Ann said...

Yes, my voice to the chorus. Good luck tomorrow and see you soon.

Laura Jane said...

Yep, the ripples of the Big Pond.

Plink.........I feel ya!

Thinking of you today

Daria said...

Wishing you all the best with your scan tomorrow.

Roxanne said...

I am so blessed to call you my friend, Debby. Your ripples reach far and wide as only God can do. My prayers are with you tomorrow. Blessings xoxoxo

Lydia said...

Will be praying for and thinking of you. Glad your ripples came my way. What a blessing.

StudentOfLife said...

I say a prayer every night for you. I don't know you personally but your blog has touched me as well as your strength and fight. I'm happy to be a stone in the same pool as you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie. I am thinking of you. One of your supporters in Canada. Disheartening and discouraging but but but...keep on going...Wish I could do something to take this all away. !!!!

-Lavinia

kpaeck said...

Hi Aunt Debby, it's your eldest niece stopping by. Just wanted to say thanks again for coming to see me today and having lunch with me even though you wouldn't let me buy you a simple salad. We had a good talk today! Please know that you are in my prayers and although as you said it is hard I am having the most positive thoughts and hopes possible for you right now. We love you and if you ever need anything (including an insider at your local hospital) please don't hesitate to ask! Love ya ♥Kristi

Debby said...

Thanks Kristi. You don't need to buy my salads. I love you and thank you for leading me through the abyss of obtaining my medical records and noting that imaging records were kept in a different place, etc. You are a wonderful insider. You and Mary...between the two of you, I'm golden. :^D Lots of love. Lets do it again sometime!~

jeanie said...

Dear Deb - your post's tomorrow is my yesterday - thoughts are with you from here, and you are a very important ripple in my world.