Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Penny for Our Thoughts

Today, I went to Mary's house. Her mother had been saving pennies for years. Anne is gone now, and Mary and I sorted through those pennies, to have them appraised. Old pennies from new pennies. We sorted through them checking the dates. Years stood out: 1975, the year that we graduated high school. 1957. The year I was born. 1958. The year that she was born (and the snotty thing will not let you forget that). It went on and on. There were dates before our time, dates that were important to our parents, I suppose. Even before that. The oldest penny I found was from 1909. We talked about how the world has changed since then. What was it like to hold the new 1909 penny back in a day before we knew about World Wars? Before the Depression? Imagined all the hands that held those pennies before they wound up on the kitchen table being sorted through by two old friends talking easily about life.

3 comments:

Bush Babe said...

Awww... great thoughts. I just waved goodbye to three dear friends and their kiddos after 5 days of full-on outings, cooking, chastising, reminiscing, toasting, roasting, crying and laughing. I'm exhausted. Happy exhausted. Friends like Mary are rare and wonderful. Worth savouring...
:-)
BB

WhiteStone said...

Today's generation will never appreciate a brand new penny as I did as a child. A new penny was almost as much fun as finding an old Indian head penny. Find any of those???

Kelly said...

I always liked finding wheat pennies... and buffalo nickels.

You've given me food for thought the next time I check a date on a penny.