Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Not Gonna Take It No More

I'm not a real fan of forwarded e-mails. You know the ones I'm talking about. The dire warnings. You know. For instance, your dog can die if he licks the floor after you've used a Swiffer on it. Or carjackers are sticking a piece of paper on the back window of your car. You get in, start the car, go to back up, realize that there is a piece of paper on your rear window, get out to take it off, and voila, the waiting carjacker hops in your car, drives off, not only taking your car but your purse. There's toxic lipstick warnings. False lost children reports. Today, I got one from a fellow that went something like this:


REMEMBER: Cell Phone Numbers Go Public next month.

REMINDER.... all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls..... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell phone: 888-382-1222. It is the National DO NOT CALL list. It will only take a minute of your time. It blocks your number for five (5) years. You must call from the cell phone number you want to have blocked. You cannot call from a different phone number.

HELP OTHERS BY PASSING THIS ON TO ALL YOUR FRIENDS... It takes about 20 seconds.

I've seen this one floating around for a couple years now. I looked it up on Snopes.com and I looked it up on Truthorfiction.com and discovered that it is a hoax that has been circulating since 2005. As is my wont, I hit 'reply all' and typed:

Hi. Just wanted to let you know that this rumor has been going around for many years. It is not true. These e-mail forwards circulate around and around the world for all of eternity, unless we begin to question the truth of them.

As Christians, we all know that dishonesty is a sin. I would urge everyone to look carefully at the e-mails they are considering forwarding. You can verify the truth of them by snopes.com or truthorfiction.com . I have also called Kathy Rapp's office to verify rumors. Please. Let's all of us take a moment to be purveyors of truth.

Hoping for a better world!

I got a very angry reply from the person who sent this. He does not feel that he has to defend his e-mails. He also wants to know if I am calling him dishonest. He tells me that this number will not work for us because it is a New York number, and we live in Pennsylvania.

Bruce: Misinformed. You are misinformed. You are passing along information that you are not checking for accuracy. That number is the National Do Not Call List that has been in place for some time now. It was not set up for this purported cell phone threat. You can call it in New York. We can call it in Pennsylvania. Mary can call from Missouri. Mikey and Susan from Arizona. Even Hal in California and Bill and Margie in Alaska. Know why, Bruce? Because we are all part of the same nation. The fact is, Bruce, I started out thinking you were misinformed. Now I'm thinking that you are plain ignorant. Ignorance is not a crime, I suppose, but when you choose to stay that way, it makes you a fool in my book. Sorry you're mad, but ignorance offends me. I am sick of hearing all about the government's secret agendas. I'm sick of hearing our President is the anti-Christ. Terrorist plots. I'm mad as heck. I'm not going to take it any more. This is America. We have freedom of speech. I would like to see us all begin to claim the freedom to think about what we're saying, about what we're hearing, and (dear God, puh-LEAZE!) the crap we're forwarding.

*pant. puff. deep breath*

Okay then. I'm off my soapbox.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Onya Deb. Sending you applause Barb & Jeanie

Mrs. Spit said...

But. . . but, how will I get my millions from microsoft for forwarding this email? Or see the stupid frog animation, and if I don't send the financial chain email, I will be bankrupt in just a few days.

You are really ruining my life here. . .

Lydia said...

Oh Mrs. Spit, I was all set up to type an indignant "Amen, Sister!" and you have to go making me laugh!

WhiteStone said...

And, please, Dear Readers of Debby's blog and my blog and many other blogs around the globe...Please do NOT even THINK of answering ANY email from some guy from Nigeria who claims to be holding zillions of cold hard cash in your name. He promises to send you a check to deposit in your account and then you can send him some money back so as to verify your account so he can deposit said zillions and then, "ZING", he's gotcha. AND your bank account number. AND you are instantaneously destitute because you were GREEDY and believed a LIE!

Sorry...got carried away there. Couldn't help myself. Got carried away listening to your common sense post. It's a good thing you're off your soapbox or I'da knocked you down in my franticness to hop thereon.

P.S. Franticness is not a real word. But it works.

A Novel Woman said...

What, you mean there's no guy in Nigeria with millions in my name?? What next, no Santa?!

Well, at least I'll always have Snopes.

Debby said...

Novel Woman. Deep cleansing breaths. The British Lottery is a scam too. I'm afraid that you and Mrs. Spit will have to start saving for your retirement like the rest of us poor schmucks.

Caroline said...

I got one from a friend yesterday that said if I forwarded it to 9 people I would receive a $50 Talbots gift card... I deleted it. I hate those. Nothing will happen if you forward them.

Lydia said...

Anyone got a recipe for Nieman-Marcus cookies? I heard there was a really good one out there.

Debby said...

Caroline - Talbots? We get the Applebee offer. You'd have to travel a ways to get to a Talbots.

Lydia. The story behind the cookie is false, but let us know how the recipe turns out. Truth be told, the recipe makes so many cookies you could send us all some. Maybe start your own urban legend!

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/e/expensivecookie.htm

Mikey said...

I hear ya, I hate those too. I usually just skim them and delete. They just go on and on and on. I hate forwards, unless it's something super interesting...with pictures. Nigerians, take note. Send me PICTURES of the money. I'm more likely to respond (or not)

Danielle Michelle said...

Amen!!!

Kelly said...

I tend to just forward the snopes link (or whatever proof) to the person who sent it to me.

Another type that really irks me is the kind that says if I love God I will send it to everyone in my address book. Now really, do you think God needs me to forward e-mails to show my love for Him??

Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kelly said...

Wow.. somehow I got carried away there and posted my comment three times!!

Sorry!

Daria said...

I agree ... stop it already.

I have gotten the cinnamon and honey cure-all about 10 times now.

JJ said...

Bravo!

You made me laugh.

Bush Babe said...

I delete and snopes all the time. I abhor chain mail and forwarded e-crap... what a waste of time, energy and internet download... all of which I am pretty short on at the moment!!!

That soapbox needs to be a LOT bigger, methinks!
:-)
BB