Saturday, September 5, 2009

Merlyn

I keep thinking of Merlyn. I wonder what happened to him. We drove past their house a couple months ago. I wanted to stop in and say, 'Hey. Remember us? Wanna hear something ironic...' That would have probably been a tactless thing to do, but I don't know, really...cancer fighters are quick to step up to use their experiences to help others.

Last fall, two weeks after marveling at Merlyn's wisdom, I discovered my own cancer for the first time. Amazing coincidence. Or not. You know, we are connected together, knitted together in the most astounding way. Each of us has a story meant to be told. Others find their own answers in what you know.

Many of you commented on my calmness. Believe you me. If I thought it would make a difference, I'd run circles in the yard, flapping my arms, screaming like a banshee. It won't though. So in this uncertain time, I look for the things that are certain. Because I am blessed, there are many.

Last night, I could not sleep, and I lay in bed thinking in the dark, trying to get my shoulder in a comfortable position. I remembered an old man named Merlyn, just about the happiest guy I ever met. I smiled tiredly into the dark, and I made my own choice.

a href="http://ihasahotdog.com/2009/09/04/funny-dog-pictures-joy-simple/">funny pictures of dogs with captions

9 comments:

steviewren said...

Yeah, I think so too.

My simple joy for the day is that I'm home in my own house. I'm happy here.

I wonder how Merlyn is too.

JJ said...

Something tells me that Merlyn would love a visit from you. Stop by and let him know that he left an impact on your life. Just like you're making on all of ours.

Kayleigh said...

It is amazing, isn't it...serendipity. I agree w/JJ, go see Merlyn, or at least send him a copy of this post.

jeanie said...

Isn't it funny how we meet people along our path who influence us.

I think Merlyn was there to help guide you at the beginning with his "looking the battle in the eye" philosophy.

The lady you met yesterday (?) was there to remind you that you do have a battle ahead.

And all of us - are here to give you support when you feel you aren't or can't do enough, to cheer you on as you kick Cancer's butt and to applaud wildly when you look at life and see all the great bits.

Jayne said...

Yep, Merlyn was sent to give you strength to face the fight you had ahead of you.

Ann said...

Debby, I just wanted to say I read your entire blog today. I'd seen some posts before, but today I started from the beginning and read it all.

I was just diagnosed myself and am beginning the journey, and naturally looking for people who have "been there, done that." Like you, I find that blogging is a way to relieve the tension and so I started my own, which you can see here if you wish: http://butdoctorihatepink.blogspot.com/
I added you to my blogroll as you are in inspiration to the newly diagnosed.

I am thinking of you as begin this new chapter and I know that you will get through it with the strength and dedication you have already demonstrated. Wishing you the very, very best.

Debby said...

Welcome Ann. I'll be reading about your journey as well. Good luck to you.

A Novel Woman said...

You (and Merlyn) are absolutely right. Happiness IS a choice, but not everyone gets that. I could tell a long time ago, from the way you wrote and expressed yourself and saw life, that YOU did. Viktor Frankl did too, when he wrote in MAN'S SEARCH FOR MEANING about how he, and he alone, had the freedom to determine how he felt, no matter what the circumstances. That's very powerful.

PaintedPromise said...

i agree Debby... i think Merlyn is another of your "treats" like our phone call. go see him :)