Sunday, September 20, 2009

Lost?

You know, I am a believer. I believe in God. The Alpha. The Omega. I know that not everyone does. Their unbelief does not affect my belief, and so I am not offended, and enjoy their company anyway. I believe that all roads ultimately lead to God.

I recently had an e-mail from an acquaintance. She is a believer too, she and her husband. They no longer go to church, but study tapes from a minister who does not believe that people can learn about God without his guidance. She has always been a very judgemental person, and we have spoken about this. Perhaps as a result of this, I have not heard from her lately. I got two e-mails from her on Friday, and I was shocked to realize that she no longer even sounds coherent. She paints canvasses black and believes that God puts prophetic pictures in the blackness. She speaks of demon insects, of Satan, of the beast, of naked prostitutes, hollow eyed children, angels, she points to a thumb print of God. I see nothing, and I read these captions to her pictures, and I am afraid for her.

I find myself studying my own situation, my seesawing emotions. I'm strong one minute, weepy the next, praying amidst the uncertainty, trying to keep a level head. I've been worried about my own focus. After pondering it for the day, I decide this: The difference between my friend and me is this: she has isolated herself and her husband from a community of Christians. She has limited all contact with people who believe differently. I may waver, and have difficult times but I have my friends to help me down the road when times get rough. She trusts no one but a disembodied voice on a tape. I am desperately afraid that she and her husband have gotten lost.

6 comments:

Pencil Writer said...

I'm with you, Debby. Your friend and her husband seem like they may have been led far away, from the truth. Doesn't it say somewhere in the scriptures (several places, I believe) about not trusting in the arm of flesh, but only in the arm of God? There's a good reason for that. Man can lead you astray. We have to constantly square ourselves with God--prayer and scripture study daily is vital--and like you believe, associate with fellow believers. I believe that Satan exists and works very effectively these days to pull anyone/everyone he can from the tender mercies of God and His redeeming power. I pray your friends wake up and open their ears and eyes to the comfort, saving power and light of Jesus Christ.

Hope this week goes especailly well for you, Debby. I keep checking to see how things are working out for you and pray you find the answers and find a cure.

Mikey said...

Oh wow. That's kind of insane behavior... I don't know what to say... friends, family and community are so important, and God also. Very sad to see someone you know losing it.

Mrs. Spit said...

Honestly, I'm wondering if perhaps mental illness could be an issue? A wise and Godly pastor knows this can be an issue, but the person who is "leading" them doesn't seem to be either.

I'll pray

Debby said...

Oh, I do suspect that she has wandered over into the land of mental illness. I think that when you isolate yourself and ultimately, (seems like to me) begin (in effect) to create your own religion (she calls her self Christian Other) it is easy to lose your bearings. We are designed to need one another, to be completed by one another. I honestly believe that.

Pam said...

I'm so sorry for your friend. I, too, think she has wandered into the land of mental illness.

When I hear things like this I see why people are lulled into joining cults.

Often when you're lost you 'find' yourself in very dangerous territory!

PaintedPromise said...

Pam said: "Often when you're lost you 'find' yourself in very dangerous territory!"

very profound! i agree with you Debby, we need each other... i am sorry for your friend. prayers coming from here too.