Thursday, September 3, 2009

Encounter

I went downtown to show an apartment, and stopped off to pick up a few things at the Dollar General. I was standing in front of an array of things looking for a night time pain reliever. A woman stood beside me. We both studied the situation in silence. For a while, anyhow. Because I'm a bit of a blabber (you may not have noticed), I said, "Well, where'd they put the (insert registered trademark here)?" and she said, "I can't find my low dose aspirin." We adjusted our reading glasses and studied on. Suddenly, she said, "Ah...here we go. I have to take the 81 mg. It's hell getting old." And it just burst out of me: "I want to get old." She looked at me wearily. "No you don't," she said. "Yeah. I do. I found out yesterday I've got cancer again." Shocked she stopped. "I just found out this morning that I've got cancer too. In my lung." We stared in amazement. Her eyes went red. "I've got seven kids. I've told five of them." I said, "Yeah, that's no fun. That's what I was doing last night." She said, "I can't stop crying." I said, "I haven't cried at all." And we hugged tightly in the middle of the store, exchanged telephone numbers. We live in a small community, but really, that was kind of a remarkable meeting. She said, on parting, "You know, I've already done this twice. I don't know if I can do it again."

That's where we're different, she and I: I know that I can.

Don't wanna.

But I will.

Whatever it takes.

18 comments:

Roxanne said...

And you will fight it, Debby. One day at a time just as you have been doing. You are continually in my prayers. You are such an encouragement to so many, including me. Let me encourage you by saying "You are one strong woman!!" With God's help and the love of family and friends you Will get through it. Blessings, my friend:)

Kelly said...

I'm glad to hear that fighting attitude!!

I am praying for God to give you the strength and courage to face whatever obstacles are in your path!

Beth said...

Great fighting attitude!

Sarah Lulu said...

Oh yes I think you were meant to meet.

As were we. *smile*

Your wish is also my wish for you.

sending love and light and prayers from Australia.

xxxx

Anonymous said...

From reading your blog, I know that you can too. Healing thoughts. Julie

Pam said...

You're a fighter, for sure! You'll fight and you'll WIN! Again!!

You remain in my prayers!

Caroline said...

YES. YOU. CAN. DO. IT.

JJ said...

Beautiful story.

You can do it.

WhiteStone said...

It is amazing how cancer gives us opportunity to bless and comfort one another. 2 Cor. 1:3-4

Kerry ABOUT ME said...

Debby,

I'd call that encounter not a coincidence but a "Godincidence." I don't believe it was a random fluke. I'll be praying for you.

Now go and kick some cancer ass!! LOL from a bc sister,

Kerry Osborne
www.kerryosborne.blogspot.com

steviewren said...

You're amazing, just simply amazing.

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Glad you got a spot of inspiration. You can beat this again :o)

Laura Jane said...

The Lord moves in mysterious ways

Good for you Deb, I like that resolution!

(((HUGS)))

Mikey said...

What an amazing chance encounter! I think this will be interesting. A new friend, just like that... I agree with Laura Jane, the Lord moves in mysterious ways..

Bush Babe said...

That's mah girl!!! You WILL fight and you WILL win. It's all about WILLpower, and you got that in spades Deb.

And it's some cheer squad you've got here girl! WOW!!! Go team...
:-)
BB

corymbia said...

I've got tears and chills - you two ladies were just meant to meet today.

and you go down as my #1 hero - what a great fighting spirit.

Dave said...

Wow.
I have faith in all of "us".

PaintedPromise said...

"That's where we're different, she and I: I know that I can.

Don't wanna.

But I will.

Whatever it takes."

YES! YES! YES! and we are all behind you every step of the way!!!!!