Monday, September 28, 2009

Boring

You know, there are conversations that, pre-cancer, you cannot imagine yourself having. Tim and I met Mary downtown. We were going on a tour of the Historical Society. As we waited, Mary turned sideways and whispered, "Notice anything different about me?" My eyes popped a bit as it registered. "Nice boobs, Mary!" And she grinned big. The prosthetics make her feel better, you can tell. I'm happy as heck for her, but still, a year ago, I could not imagine noticing a woman's breasts, let alone complimenting her on them. She laughed when I told her that.

After the tour, Mary declined to join us, but we went out for dessert. I got blueberry crepes. Since it was so late, I drank chamomile tea.

Saturday, home renovations. Saturday night, we sprawled on the couch, tired but content. We watched a video. 'An Unfinished Life'. It was a pleasant movie. Had plenty of chuckles. Predictable, but a nice movie, with wonderful scenery.

Sunday, there was church, and then a plumbing disaster. A friend brought me flowers and visited for too short a time. I made out invitations for Stacey's homecoming party (she's on her way back from Korea, should be landing in Pittsburgh in about four hours). I went to bed and stretched out with a funny book while Tim talked to Mike on the phone.

Today I scrubbed down the bathroom. We're painting. I got the guest room ready, in case Stacey wants to stay here. I did the laundry. I did the ironing. I did the folding.

Tim's old boss called. We've never talked before. He said that the thing he always liked about Tim was the way that he talked about his wife. That was a sweet thing to hear.

Sounds boring as all get out, doesn't it?

Boring is good. I've missed boring.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds wonderful Deb. I like boring too. Great to have normal isn't it? Perhaps we have lots of it but our minds are too busy to notice and appreciate. One of the pluses of having a life-crisis. The really important comes to the fore. Good to hear. Love Barb

Reb said...

Since I teach breastfeeding, I'm always talking about breasts :) A friend and I were meeting at the airport to go on a trip together. She like me, is always early, but there was no sight of her, and I was getting worried. She was a one year cancer survivor, and I knew that she had a scan the day before... When she breathlessly ran up I asked if she was ok? Any problems? Yes she was ok but her dog saw her packing and wasn't happy about it so he stole and hid her prosthetic breast :) She was so frazzled from being late that she didn't stop to think of what she was saying, or who could hear her when she announced "my darn dog ate my boob!" The whole line went silent until I cracked up and then everyone did :) What are you gonna do? It's life and it happens.
Rebecca

WhiteStone said...

Boring is good. It means you can sit back for a spell and relax, think on things you haven't thought about in a long time. And as soon as Stacey arrives, "boring" will be out the window. But won't it be a great and good time!!!

JJ said...

Boring is lovely.

Daria said...

Boring is great ... I wish you more of the same.

Lydia said...

Fantastic.

Mary Paddock said...

Boring is just great. Wonderful in fact. My favorite state of affairs. It creates a huge amount of space in your mind to do fill with other things. In your case, I'd suggest filling that space with a book about your experiences. :)

I remember last fall when we finally got back on our feet financially and the bill collectors stopped calling (every five minutes). The house was so quiet and there was nothing on the horizon to worry about for the first time in two years. The boys joked that they missed it. Gary and I pondered calling them up "just to chat" about the good old days. :)

Beth said...

It sounds really good, your energy level must be way up. What a nice thing for your husband's boss to say to you...

Kelly said...

Yes. Boring is good!

(and I'm still laughing at Reb's story about the dog and the boob!!!)

Bush Babe said...

How is that boring? That is everyday, but fabulously details everyday stuff... long may it last! As a drama survivor, I too savour the 'small stuff'.
:-)
BB

steviewren said...

It doesn't sound boring to me. It sounds like an incredibly meaningful life. Friends, family, people you love...what's boring about that?

Pencil Writer said...

Boring, NO. Comfortable and warm, ABSOLUTELY!

PaintedPromise said...

if you want to call it boring, then YAY BORING! i enjoy a little of that from time to time but i call it peace lol...